Son with Dyspraxia and awaiting ASD appt

Hi all, so this is my first post here and I'm not on any social media, this is quite overwhelming for me so please be kind! I have a 5yo son who was diagnosed with verbal dyspraxia at age 3 after i really pushed for help. I had suspected he was on the autistic spectrum from appx 18 months although lots of "clues" were there from birth. He has not had a diagnosis though. On all reports spanning nearly 3 years "social communication difficulties" keeps cropping up. If you look at him in a blanket way - he makes eye contact, he laughs at an age relevant joke, he doesn't mind physical games with peers that he knows.... paediatricians mention the lack of social communication but dont mention ASD due to him being ok with these things. He will only let me kiss him in one particular spot on his cheek. He gets fixated on particular friends at school. On playdates with boys his age he tends to end up playing with the younger siblings instead. He is more emotional than peers at school, he needs instructions repeated directly to him by teachers as he doesn't absorb what is said to the group. He has motor tics and is currently in the habit of peeling his nails (picking at them) theres more but i cant list everything. Has anyone had similar please? Thanks for your time and sorry such an essay ! 

Parents
  • Hey. I have asperger's myself. Anything I could do to help?
    Thinking back to my childhood something that went unnoticed for me...is that I am very physically sensitive (similar to the kiss on the cheek thing you mentioned) and a huge impact on my childhood was that my sensitivities to pain were not taken into consideration. I was usually in pain, or uncomfortable, and largely had an impact and shaped my inability to communicate properly. Beginning with an inability to communicate when I am hurt, stressed, or in pain.

• Hey. I have asperger's myself. Anything I could do to help?
    Thinking back to my childhood something that went unnoticed for me...is that I am very physically sensitive (similar to the kiss on the cheek thing you mentioned) and a huge impact on my childhood was that my sensitivities to pain were not taken into consideration. I was usually in pain, or uncomfortable, and largely had an impact and shaped my inability to communicate properly. Beginning with an inability to communicate when I am hurt, stressed, or in pain.

Children
  • Hi thanks for reply he cries when in pain and will call "mummy....." what sounds similar to your sensitivity is that when he does get hurt it takes him a while to get over it. And he easily panics. His 2 front lower teeth are wobbly and I dread one of them coming out at school as he will freak with the blood and I won't be there to comfort him:(