2 year old concerned

Hi my new here. So hi guys. Im looking advice and help

Our little girl doesn't socialize at all with her peers she will play along side them.She just pull herself away from the group of children at nursery. Even when she had playdate with another child at home very similar situation. Eating refused to use cultery. Rather uses her hands. She can use cutlery as we have seen her on few occasion. Everything is sensory toys ie to her mouth. When she plays with toys she is always emptying and filling with the toys. Ie playdough and cutter. Not using correctly way  back and forward. No words of yet. Very limted mom and dad. Has good eye contact. Good understanding of rountie etc.plays well with adults she knows. Im waiting for appointment with paediatrics. Nursery have being great. Nursery is looking at sensory processing disorder. Can we do more at home advice opinions would be great.thanks again

Parents
  • Hi there, my youngest daughter is 2 and very similar in many ways, especially insisting on eating with her hands despite physically being able to. She’s not talking yet either, her eye contact used to be good but it’s got really bad now. She does parallel play but doesn’t play with her piers. There’s loads more with her but I’m keeping it brief. Luckily she’s been in the system for over a year and had both physio and OT input, though the scope of nhs help tends to be limited, they’re not always so good with the sensory stuff. If paediatrics think there is a significant developmental delay then the paediatrician should do a section 23 referral to the local authority which would entitle her to SEND support at Nursery. Again if the paediatrician thinks there is cause for concern you might also be able to get 15 hours free nursery hours for 2 year olds; DLA and carers allowance. I’m not sure that I’m exactly answering your question but I’m passing on some information that I’ve learned along the way. 

• thanks for the information. Just a question you found Nhs limited with sensory issues? could you explain this.? ie did you get support help advice.Is there any outlet you were able to use .thanks again for the information helps loads as we have no idea were to start.

• That’s ok. What I mean is that most nhs occupational therapists are sensory trained (not all are) but they’re not funded to do a lot of sensory intervention so they mainly focus on fine motor skills, we did get some minimal advice on sensory issues but not much. Luckily there’s a charitable organisation called brainwaves, it’s private but because they’re a charity they’re a lot cheaper than most private places and you can apply for a bursary if you’re on a limited income, they have physios, SALT and OTs, I’ve booked for two OTs to come and assess my daughter as she has MAJOR sensory issues and needs a full sensory needs assessment and a sensory diet not just the odd bit of advice for her stimming behaviours which was all we got from the nhs really. She’s been discharged by nhs physio as her fine motor skills are ok now but her sensory issues are not ok

• That’s ok. What I mean is that most nhs occupational therapists are sensory trained (not all are) but they’re not funded to do a lot of sensory intervention so they mainly focus on fine motor skills, we did get some minimal advice on sensory issues but not much. Luckily there’s a charitable organisation called brainwaves, it’s private but because they’re a charity they’re a lot cheaper than most private places and you can apply for a bursary if you’re on a limited income, they have physios, SALT and OTs, I’ve booked for two OTs to come and assess my daughter as she has MAJOR sensory issues and needs a full sensory needs assessment and a sensory diet not just the odd bit of advice for her stimming behaviours which was all we got from the nhs really. She’s been discharged by nhs physio as her fine motor skills are ok now but her sensory issues are not ok

Children
No Data