2 year old concerned

Hi my new here. So hi guys. Im looking advice and help

Our little girl doesn't socialize at all with her peers she will play along side them.She just pull herself away from the group of children at nursery. Even when she had playdate with another child at home very similar situation. Eating refused to use cultery. Rather uses her hands. She can use cutlery as we have seen her on few occasion. Everything is sensory toys ie to her mouth. When she plays with toys she is always emptying and filling with the toys. Ie playdough and cutter. Not using correctly way  back and forward. No words of yet. Very limted mom and dad. Has good eye contact. Good understanding of rountie etc.plays well with adults she knows. Im waiting for appointment with paediatrics. Nursery have being great. Nursery is looking at sensory processing disorder. Can we do more at home advice opinions would be great.thanks again

Parents
  • My elder daughter was playing with sand, filling forms in and then emptying them for hours. Went to grammar school and is OK.. Playdough rings the bell as well.

I started worrying about my daughters  in year 2 at school, so I am sorry to say I don't have any experience on how to help toddlers. I hope somebody will come with more advice.

This being said, I think you just need to create opportunities and stimulate her to try to develop the next developmental milestone or basically skill without going all panicky and obsessively controlling about it. Being on the spectrum myself with 2 autistic daughters, I think autism is a different learning pathway, not a glitch in software, but a different operating system.  It has its on coherence and algorithm. So use that instead of disrupting that. She will develop following her algorithm, but you need to provide the right opportunities.

For example, when my daughter was 3 I struggled with potty training. My mother in law was all intense and obsessive about that, but in spite of all efforts it was going nowhere. I was more relaxed. I had a potty training video. It was made for the parents, but was accessible enough for toddlers ! We watched it together several times and I shown her that it was important to me and to her. She asked to watch it repeatedly, so eventually I put it on the repeat loop. After a couple of weeks without any action from me she took the potty and started practicing how to sit on it. A week later she used it properly and told me proudly that she used it. So she understood all along what I wanted and that she needed to learn. 

I guess if she plays well with adults she knows, arrange that regularly, preferably daily and play with the items and games she likes, try to name things and verbs, try to expand the range of things she experiences, like colours, more shapes, more textures. But let her lead and control her play, don't go all oppressively controlling. 

On the organisational side, try to refer her to the occupational and to the speech therapist.

• My elder daughter was playing with sand, filling forms in and then emptying them for hours. Went to grammar school and is OK.. Playdough rings the bell as well.

I started worrying about my daughters  in year 2 at school, so I am sorry to say I don't have any experience on how to help toddlers. I hope somebody will come with more advice.

This being said, I think you just need to create opportunities and stimulate her to try to develop the next developmental milestone or basically skill without going all panicky and obsessively controlling about it. Being on the spectrum myself with 2 autistic daughters, I think autism is a different learning pathway, not a glitch in software, but a different operating system.  It has its on coherence and algorithm. So use that instead of disrupting that. She will develop following her algorithm, but you need to provide the right opportunities.

For example, when my daughter was 3 I struggled with potty training. My mother in law was all intense and obsessive about that, but in spite of all efforts it was going nowhere. I was more relaxed. I had a potty training video. It was made for the parents, but was accessible enough for toddlers ! We watched it together several times and I shown her that it was important to me and to her. She asked to watch it repeatedly, so eventually I put it on the repeat loop. After a couple of weeks without any action from me she took the potty and started practicing how to sit on it. A week later she used it properly and told me proudly that she used it. So she understood all along what I wanted and that she needed to learn. 

I guess if she plays well with adults she knows, arrange that regularly, preferably daily and play with the items and games she likes, try to name things and verbs, try to expand the range of things she experiences, like colours, more shapes, more textures. But let her lead and control her play, don't go all oppressively controlling. 

On the organisational side, try to refer her to the occupational and to the speech therapist.

Children