Tears over my son

I'm a parent who has a son age 3 who has recently been diagnosed on the Autistic spectrum. Today he went on his first outing with his mainstream nursery (my son being the only Autistic one in the class)  The amount of dirty looks me and my son were getting was very upsetting I felt like screaming 'He can't help it, he's autistic) I burst into tears in front of his teacher (feeling quite embarrassed now) and shortly left. I feel so alone at the moment and I'm just reaching out to anyone who has problems with other people's ignorance and how do you cope with there judgements. Thanks for reading x

Parents
  • We've all been there - I'm a mum of 12 year autistic twins and I can think of many situations where strange looks have been given, not necessarily because they are doing anything wrong or naughty, but usually because they are doing it differently. It can be overwhelming to take on board your child's diagnosis and learning to understand them. There are certainly times when you want to burst into tears! I can only say that from my experience that I have tried to encourage my children to get involved in various different things and not hide them away. Sometimes when I have encouraged them to go out outside their comfort zone, the results have been pretty spectacular and they are developing into very funny, considerate and polite boys. You will always get some "dirty" looks but the key is not to take this to heart or be bothered too much by people's lack of knowledge or understanding and to take the line of "whatever". You don't need to compete with people like this or even try to prove a point - just make sure that the people that do count in your life understand and support you. Things do get better!

• We've all been there - I'm a mum of 12 year autistic twins and I can think of many situations where strange looks have been given, not necessarily because they are doing anything wrong or naughty, but usually because they are doing it differently. It can be overwhelming to take on board your child's diagnosis and learning to understand them. There are certainly times when you want to burst into tears! I can only say that from my experience that I have tried to encourage my children to get involved in various different things and not hide them away. Sometimes when I have encouraged them to go out outside their comfort zone, the results have been pretty spectacular and they are developing into very funny, considerate and polite boys. You will always get some "dirty" looks but the key is not to take this to heart or be bothered too much by people's lack of knowledge or understanding and to take the line of "whatever". You don't need to compete with people like this or even try to prove a point - just make sure that the people that do count in your life understand and support you. Things do get better!

Children
No Data