Tears over my son

I'm a parent who has a son age 3 who has recently been diagnosed on the Autistic spectrum. Today he went on his first outing with his mainstream nursery (my son being the only Autistic one in the class)  The amount of dirty looks me and my son were getting was very upsetting I felt like screaming 'He can't help it, he's autistic) I burst into tears in front of his teacher (feeling quite embarrassed now) and shortly left. I feel so alone at the moment and I'm just reaching out to anyone who has problems with other people's ignorance and how do you cope with there judgements. Thanks for reading x

Parents
  • Hi Daisy, 

As a mum of a 3 years old autistic daughter, I can understand your feeling. But please put your head up and give your little one lots of cuddles and kisses. I feel the same, not many ppl  know/understand autism or children with special needs. With that young age, ppl sometimes can’t tell. I find it easier to tell ppl sometimes that my girl is ‘special’ then they will understand. 

My girl is doing exactly the same like your son, playdough also her favourite! 

Please give lots of positive vibes to your son. When you are happy and confident in him, he will definitely feel it and will do better and better. Look at marginal improvement a day and good luck!

Take care x

• Hi Daisy, 

As a mum of a 3 years old autistic daughter, I can understand your feeling. But please put your head up and give your little one lots of cuddles and kisses. I feel the same, not many ppl  know/understand autism or children with special needs. With that young age, ppl sometimes can’t tell. I find it easier to tell ppl sometimes that my girl is ‘special’ then they will understand. 

My girl is doing exactly the same like your son, playdough also her favourite! 

Please give lots of positive vibes to your son. When you are happy and confident in him, he will definitely feel it and will do better and better. Look at marginal improvement a day and good luck!

Take care x

Children
No Data