Head Banging 4 Year Old :-(

Hi All,

My 4 year old has always been one for punching his head in what we guess is frustration but just lately he is getting really bad at smashing his head against walls and punching his head when he gets upset, he is non verbal so makes it even more challenging . Has anyone ever been through this stage? can anyone recommend anything , hes constantly covered in marks all over his face and its upsetting us we feel so helpless , today he smashed his head on the wall that hard he cracked the plaster on the wall and left a big dent in the wall.

Many Thanks

Matt

Parents
  • I did this as a child and it used to horrify my parents. Ended up in A&E a few times so it was a wonder social services were never involved! For me it was through frustration and not being able to cope. See if you can spot the triggers before your child escalates. Mine was always being taken shopping with my mum.

Then look to see if those triggers should be removed or whether small doeses cause less severe reactions from your child. As I got older I did this less and less but I would still harm myself at times when having meltdowns. This got worse again during my teens but improved as I reach my early twenties.

• I did this as a child and it used to horrify my parents. Ended up in A&E a few times so it was a wonder social services were never involved! For me it was through frustration and not being able to cope. See if you can spot the triggers before your child escalates. Mine was always being taken shopping with my mum.

Then look to see if those triggers should be removed or whether small doeses cause less severe reactions from your child. As I got older I did this less and less but I would still harm myself at times when having meltdowns. This got worse again during my teens but improved as I reach my early twenties.

Children
No Data