School invoicing for broken ipad ? fair or not

Dear all

I just want to test the waters with this one. My 6 year old son is in mainstream school with an EHCP and 1:1. He has profound sensory issues and when dysregulated can bite done on hard objects. This rarely happens and has not happened in school until last week, when he bit down on an ipad. The response of school is to invoice us for the cost of replacing. Is this reasonable. To me it feels inherently unfair as the damage was not intentional and a direct result of his dysregulation. Furthermore I do not have an understanding of what happened before to lead to this outcome?? 

I have told the school that I think an investigation of what happened should be there immediate course of action rather than asking for money. They disagree.

Any thoughts welcome..

Thank you

Parents
  • The answer to this is yes.

There are times when I believe that if the cost of damage to public sector property is not paid then it can be slapped onto income tax or benefits.

You wouldn't believe how many expensive medical devices are damaged by patients in hospitals, and under (outdated?) NHS policy it's the taxpayer who pays to repair the damage rather than the patient.

BTW. I don't pay charges for parking tickets issued by councils, APCOA etc. or take any notice of letters issued by debt collectors or fake solicitors on their behalf.

• The answer to this is yes.

There are times when I believe that if the cost of damage to public sector property is not paid then it can be slapped onto income tax or benefits.

You wouldn't believe how many expensive medical devices are damaged by patients in hospitals, and under (outdated?) NHS policy it's the taxpayer who pays to repair the damage rather than the patient.

BTW. I don't pay charges for parking tickets issued by councils, APCOA etc. or take any notice of letters issued by debt collectors or fake solicitors on their behalf.

Children
  • Hmm - so you ignore letter from debt collectors? you know they changed the law a few years ago regards to private parking don't you? i.e. you can't ignore them any more?

Don't you ever watch that TV programme "Can't pay or we'll take it away". Sorry but someone is going to get a court order like they do, and remove good from your house if you don't pay.