School invoicing for broken ipad ? fair or not

Dear all

I just want to test the waters with this one. My 6 year old son is in mainstream school with an EHCP and 1:1. He has profound sensory issues and when dysregulated can bite done on hard objects. This rarely happens and has not happened in school until last week, when he bit down on an ipad. The response of school is to invoice us for the cost of replacing. Is this reasonable. To me it feels inherently unfair as the damage was not intentional and a direct result of his dysregulation. Furthermore I do not have an understanding of what happened before to lead to this outcome?? 

I have told the school that I think an investigation of what happened should be there immediate course of action rather than asking for money. They disagree.

Any thoughts welcome..

Thank you

Parents
  • Hi as others have said check school policy on student breakages. I know at our school it is discretionary so if a genuine accident then parents don't get billed but if the school feel behaviour was to blame we do. I can see why the school are billing you as in black and white he bit it and broke it, that said as he has 1:1 support it should not have got to the point that he was so disregulated that he did it

I think asking the school to investigate what happened is reasonable even if it's to stop it happening again, and if it turns out it could have been prevented then I think you have grounds to argue maybe suggest 50/50 split? Just an idea good luck

• Hi as others have said check school policy on student breakages. I know at our school it is discretionary so if a genuine accident then parents don't get billed but if the school feel behaviour was to blame we do. I can see why the school are billing you as in black and white he bit it and broke it, that said as he has 1:1 support it should not have got to the point that he was so disregulated that he did it

I think asking the school to investigate what happened is reasonable even if it's to stop it happening again, and if it turns out it could have been prevented then I think you have grounds to argue maybe suggest 50/50 split? Just an idea good luck

Children