is private assessment accepted by NHS?

hello everyone

I am mother of two years old son. I suspect him having mild autism. We already seen language therapist and she confirmed my suspects and now we are on the waiting list for assessment.  It could take long time. I do not want to wait for too long because with big help on time my son could possible 'growth out' the autism. We started thinking of private assessment. My question is: is private assessment accepted by NHS? What happens after assessment? 

• Hi NAS38840

Whilst you are considering what to do, you might also like to contact our Autism Helpline team who may be able to provide you with additional information and advice. You can contact the team via telephone on 0808 800 4104 (Monday to Thursday 10am to 4pm, Friday 9am to 3pm). Please note that the Helpline is experiencing a high volume of calls and it may take a couple of attempts before you get through to speak to an advisor. Alternatively, should you prefer to send a message, you can do so via their webform:

https://www.autism.org.uk/services/helplines/main/questions.aspx

Hope this helps,

Nicky-Mod

• I said in another thread that I think that the common belief that a private assessment is not recognised by the NHS or other bodies is somewhat of an urban myth.  There should not be any difficulty in the diagnosis being accepted.  I was privately diagnosed and have had no trouble whatsoever.

However... there is a but here.  Just because someone is autistic does not necessarily mean they will get help from a public body afterwards.  It depends on the way a person is affected and that includes children.  Autism has a wide range of effects on the person, and this is where it comes down to whether or not help will be given.  Hopefully a private assessor will provide a useful report, stating the issues that autism causes in the particular individual.  And this will then be the basis and evidence for asking for help. 

The assessment and diagnosis criteria are quite strict, so really there should be no problem.  However, autism is so misunderstood even among doctors and professionals who often don't wish to understand the problems it can cause.  A diagnosis should be looked on as a stepping stone, not the end destination. 

Many older people are left wondering what they should do when a diagnosis is obtained, even if it is done on the NHS.  It is certainly not a magic bullet to obtain a PIP.  In children, a statement of educational need may also not be forthcoming if a school doesn't think it would be necessary in the individual circumstances.

Terms such as 'mild' and 'severe' autism are not helpful.  Someone thought to be 'mildly' autistic may have their needs not catered for.  Someone 'severely' affected may not have their abilities recognised.  Some who appear to be very severely affected are in fact very intelligent. 

Some 'therapies' for autism that teach someone to mask how they really are can be the cause of severe and chronic depression, stress and anxiety.  They do not help anyone 'grow out' of autism.  Many of the older members of this group, me included, have learned their own coping mechanisms to make themselves appear 'normal',   But I certainly have not 'grown out' of being autistic, it is always there in the background ready to show itself in its full glory when the stress of masking gets overwhelming.

• Your son can learn to cope with some things, but he will never be NT. Please love him for who he is and don't try and force him into some average mould.

Every one can learn and develop to some extent .But anyone who tells you your son can grow out of his autism it lying to you,  if you have a 2 year old autistic son you will have a 12 year old autistic son and a 42 year old autistic son.

• I had a private assessment and diagnosis.  I was not referred by my GP but I informed her and she said it would be accepted, so I went ahead.

I chose a national provider who also take NHS referrals and who also have a reputation in the autism field, so there was no difference in the end, except the report was sent to me directly instead of my GP but there were instructions on the report asking me to provide a copy to my GP so my records could be updated, and also to provide a copy to anyone involved in my future care including social services.  There was no question of it being accepted. It was also accepted by the DWP as normal.

I live in Scotland but I'm not sure if that makes any difference.

You could always check with your GP to be sure.

• In adults may not but children can learn. this what I mean by saying grow out. But anyway thanks for reply

• It depends on how a private assessment happens.

I can get a private assessment as an adult that is recognised by the NHS (so essentially an NHS assessment that I am paying for myself) as the referal has to initially come from my GP so that the results and feedback can go on my medical records. The service providers see no point in someone having a diagnosis or assessment that is not recognised by the NHS because it won't help with further support requests. To go by the NHS route in my area takes around 3 years IF you can get on the list to start with. The private route is 3-6 weeks for me! Applies to both children and adults.

So...the NHS and any benefit agencies probably won't recognise a private assessment and diagnosis. But there are services out there that you can self fund for an NHS recognised outcome.

• You do not grow out of autism any more than you grow out of only having one leg.