Son 10 with ASD and we are finding it so hard.

My son is 10 and is diagnosed with ASD, his violent outburst when things don’t go right are getting out of control. We have 3 other children who are not on the spectrum and my husband is my sons carer and I go to work but I’m becoming more worried when I am at work because he recently threw a PS4 controller at my head which resulted in me having concussion when I was standing on the stairs and all I did was ask what was wrong (his ps4 wasn’t loading). I do 12 hour shifts and worry about what if he did that and my husband was knocked down the stairs or what if he did it to his younger siblings. He destroys everything in sight when having a melt down and will attach anyone in the same room. I’m so worried about him getting older and stronger. He has tried numerous medication which made no difference, I’m just at a loss. 

Parents
  • As someone who went through similar outburts and breaking things when I was younger (now 19) I do understand how you feel as I've grown older and maturer I have seen what it did to my parents. In my case it has got easier for my parents as I've grown older. Hope this happens in your case 

Could you maybe put cameras in all rooms or hallways of your house just in case something does happen to your husband whilst you are working? Not spying but just ensuring the safey of your husband and kids including your 10 year old.

• As someone who went through similar outburts and breaking things when I was younger (now 19) I do understand how you feel as I've grown older and maturer I have seen what it did to my parents. In my case it has got easier for my parents as I've grown older. Hope this happens in your case 

Could you maybe put cameras in all rooms or hallways of your house just in case something does happen to your husband whilst you are working? Not spying but just ensuring the safey of your husband and kids including your 10 year old.

Children