Urgent - getting more violent now - 14 year old son

3rd time in about 6 months now. This time he really went for it.

First two times hes thrown things at me - albeit 2nd time a large battery.

This time he decided to dig me in the stomach because he didnt agree with me telling him off for something. We went outside and I did grab him and tell him to cut it out (probably not best idea thinking about). But then he started swinging, hit me a few times cut my lip etc.

One thing I didnt hit him back although I felt like it.

Really don't know what to do. I could have phoned the police I guess and got him taken to the cells (this is what CAMHS are telling us to do).

Dont know what to do. For now, we;ve removed his PC, his mobile, his bedroom door.

Hes all sorry but this is not the first time. With a wife whos smaller than him and a 4 year old sister (hes lost his temper with her in the past) I just dont know what to do.

Parents

• Perhaps consider the following approach to dealing with aggression.

ABSTRACT
    Some individuals with autism engage in physical aggression to an extent that interferes with not only their quality of life, but also that of their parents and siblings. Behavioural and psychopharmacological treatments have been the mainstay of treatments for aggression in children and adolescents with autism. We evaluated the effectiveness of a mindfulness-based procedure, Meditation on the Soles of the Feet, in helping three adolescents to manage their physical aggression. This procedure required the adolescents to rapidly shift the focus of their attention from the aggression-triggering event to a neutral place on their body, the soles of their feet. Incidents of aggression across the three adolescents ranged from a mean of 14–20 per week during baseline, 4–6 per week during mindfulness training, including zero rates during the last 4 weeks of intervention. Aggression occurred a rate of about 1 per year during a 3-year follow-up. Our results suggest adolescents with autism can learn, and effectively use, a mindfulness-based procedure to self-manage their physical aggression over several years.
    © 2011 Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.

Prior to the intervention, the mother of each adolescent met with the senior author for a day during which they were taught the procedural steps of Meditation on the Soles of the Feet (Singh et al., 2003), and the steps for training their child with autism. The mothers were also instructed to practice the procedure themselves for a month prior to teaching it to their child.

Table 1
    Training steps for Meditation on the Soles of the Feet procedure.
    1.) If you are standing, stand in a natural rather than an aggressive posture, with the soles of your feet flat on the floor.
    2.) If you are sitting, sit comfortably with the soles of your feet on the floor.
    3.) Breath naturally, and do nothing.
    4.) Cast your mind back to an incident that made you very angry. Stay with the anger.
    5.) You are feeling angry, and angry thoughts are flowing through your mind. Let them flow naturally, without restriction. Stay with the anger. Your body may show signs of anger (e.g., rapid breathing).
    6.) Now, shift all your attention fully to the soles of your feet.
    7.) Slowly, move your toes, feel your shoes covering your feet, feel the texture of your socks, the curve of your arch, and the heels of your feet against the back of your shoes. If you do not have shoes on, feel the floor or carpet with the soles of your feet.
    8.) keep breathing naturally and focus on the soles of your feet until you feel calm.
    9.) Practice this mindfulness exercise until you can use it wherever your are and whenever an incident occurs that might otherwise lead to you being verbally or physically aggressive.
    10.) Remember that once you are calm, you can walk away from the incident or situation with a smile on your face because you controlled your anger. Alternatively, if you need to, you can respond to the incident or situation with a calm and clear mind without verbal threats or physical aggression.

Intervention
    Following baseline, the adolescents were individually taught the mindfulness procedure by their mothers. Initial training was conducted during a daily 30-min training session for 5 consecutive days. During these sessions, the adolescents were seated comfortably in a soft chair, with their feet flat on the floor, and hands resting gently on their thighs. They were instructed to close their eyes to increase concentration and narrow their focus to the present moment. Then their mother provided the instructions in a calm and soft voice, taking them through the steps outlined in Table 1. This involved teaching the adolescents to shift their attention from the emotion (e.g., anger, fear, frustration) or other triggers that normally preceded the aggressive behaviour to a neutral object—the soles of their feet. They were encouraged to practice the procedure at other times, at least twice a day, with the help of their mothers, as necessary. This practice did not require the presence of any trigger for their aggressive behaviour, but they were encouraged to use the procedure especially when such a trigger to their aggressive behaviour was present. Once the adolescents had learned the basics of the Meditation on the Soles of the Feet procedure, they were given an audiotape of the instructions (recorded on their iPods) to use for self-practice. During the mindfulness training phase that followed the week of intensive training by their mothers, each adolescent was required to practice the technique at least twice a day with their mother and to use it whenever an incident occurred that could elicit aggressive behaviour. Formal training was terminated when each adolescent did not engage in aggressive behavior for four consecutive weeks

Follow-up
    Following termination of formal training, each adolescent was periodically reminded by his parents and siblings to continue practising Meditation on the Soles of the Feet in an effort to maintain meditation stabilization, which is a state where the ‘‘mind engages the object of observation of its own accord’’ (Gyatso, 1999, p. 59). They were given no further instruction. Given our extensive experience teaching and using this procedure, we anticipated the participants would become so attuned to their environment and their interactions that the mere occurrence of an unpleasant situation with their parents or siblings would automatically evoke mindfulness, rather than aggression or some other maladaptive behaviour. Follow-up data were collected for 3 years following termination of the intervention to assess maintenance of treatment gains.

• One thing I just don't understand is his total lack of seeing consequences. In all honesty, all he sees is his PC - nothing else matters. Even his OCD doesnt stress him - he treats it as more of an inconveniece that takes him away from his PC. Which I guess is why hes not interested in taking time to do things the counsellor asks - its more time away from PC, easier to just continue as is? Dunno.

One thing I don't understand. Last week we almost called the police. He knows this and he knows how serious it was. He was VERY upset afterwards.

Thing is this week hes forgotten about it. Hes back to his old ways. No effort to do anything at all and still playing up. Its almost as if the potential risk of having the police called, maybe being arrested is not even entering into his thoughts at all? Surely most people would be mortified that they might be arrested, it would worry them and they'd make sure it didn't happen? Is the Aspergers makign him like this?

We did take his PC/phone away. It was more of a way to try and focus him a little to spend time thinking about things and realise how things needed to change. If he had his PC we know there is no chance of anything else.

So this week hes found his mobile phone and sneeked it out and got caught. I did tell him his behaviour was unacceptable and it almost kicked off again - I had no choice but to let it go. Last night then we caught him on his PC at 1am when he knows hes not supposed to be!

Yet hes constantly asking to have his PC back. I just don;t get how he seems to not even appreciate when things are not right. Does he really think that going behind our back is going to go unnoticed?

Not so much punishment as realising that things need to change.

IS this Aspergers behaviour?

• One thing I just don't understand is his total lack of seeing consequences. In all honesty, all he sees is his PC - nothing else matters. Even his OCD doesnt stress him - he treats it as more of an inconveniece that takes him away from his PC. Which I guess is why hes not interested in taking time to do things the counsellor asks - its more time away from PC, easier to just continue as is? Dunno.

One thing I don't understand. Last week we almost called the police. He knows this and he knows how serious it was. He was VERY upset afterwards.

Thing is this week hes forgotten about it. Hes back to his old ways. No effort to do anything at all and still playing up. Its almost as if the potential risk of having the police called, maybe being arrested is not even entering into his thoughts at all? Surely most people would be mortified that they might be arrested, it would worry them and they'd make sure it didn't happen? Is the Aspergers makign him like this?

We did take his PC/phone away. It was more of a way to try and focus him a little to spend time thinking about things and realise how things needed to change. If he had his PC we know there is no chance of anything else.

So this week hes found his mobile phone and sneeked it out and got caught. I did tell him his behaviour was unacceptable and it almost kicked off again - I had no choice but to let it go. Last night then we caught him on his PC at 1am when he knows hes not supposed to be!

Yet hes constantly asking to have his PC back. I just don;t get how he seems to not even appreciate when things are not right. Does he really think that going behind our back is going to go unnoticed?

Children
  • Yes hes been good last week so we've been more flexible on the weekend. We're sticking to the 3 hours on weeknights because otherwise with having tea, having a shower, homework it means he'd do nothing else.

One of his big OCD things was time in the toilet/shower. Sometimes it was over 90 mins. Which is why the counsellor sugested charts/timer etc. Now we tell him PC after shower and it seems to focus him.

Down to 20 mins now which we were REALLY surprised at.... Good on him hes trying to make an effort. Fair play.

• One more little thought. All this about testing boundaries in adolescence sounds right.

I'm just thinking that while routine and good habits are common to autistic and non-autistic wellbeing, and even a neurotypical boy might have problems seeing things from your point of view, one of the smaller differences could be significant.

Three hours on the PC a day might sound sensible, but with hyperfocus and different attention-switching, that really may not be very long. Maybe, just maybe, things would work better with 8-10 hours non-stop on the PC on a Saturday, gradually winding down towards the end (so a game can be left between levels or in a boring bit), and then none at all on a Wednesday or Thursday to allow other interests to develop.

• Thanks Deep for such an insightful post.

• P.S. Due to website timing errors and notices that kept on popping up stating as much, and that I need to inform the site administrator ~ I lost the start of my version of the above posting which I started writing this time yesterday.

So I copied the post (which was all I could do here at that time) and pasted it in my computer's word processor ~ and likewise once written copied from there and pasted it in its almost completed form here, what with having to edit out typos etc.

It was rather intriguing to find much the same architecture (or note arrangements) of later responses before I actually posted, yet each one differently constructed (or composed) of course ~ but in every single case so very much more concisely written ;-)

Hey ho! :-)

• One thing I just don't understand is his total lack of seeing consequences. In all honesty, all he sees is his PC - nothing else matters.

Abstract thinking, such as imagining what in the present leads to what in the future, is a particular weakness, or even an inability, for people with autism.

Concrete thinking, such as relating with what is objectively what ~ and what goes subjectively where at the actual time, and in the actual space ~ is a particular autistic strength.

Even his OCD doesnt stress him - he treats it as more of an inconveniece that takes him away from his PC.

I suspect that your son does not have OCD, but is in instead just carrying out a Reproductive (life affirming) Behaviour Pattern, as connects and correlates with his other Reproductive (life-affirming) Behaviour Pattern (or RBP) involving ~ PC time.

OCD involves stress as a ‘Catch-22’ feedback loop ~ resulting in overzealous perseverance, for a semi delusional purpose (such as scrubbing skin off to wash bacteria off the hands); whereas RBP (Reproductive Behaviour Patterns) involve stress management, and energy efficiency, for a real time objective (obviously again ~ PC time).

Which I guess is why hes not interested in taking time to do things the counsellor asks - its more time away from PC, easier to just continue as is? Dunno.

Having autism means being self-centric, or self-oriented, as which involves not having an innate sense of what other people are thinking about, and problems therefore result in terms of not being able to relate that well with what other people are speaking about [– especially regarding the future!].

This correlates with what are called by some the Triad of Impairments, as involve restricted abilities or inabilities regarding Social Imagination, Social Interaction, and Social Communication, to varying percentages (which are useful to know).

Also, [along with these ‘by percentile socially restricted abilities’, and or ‘inabilities’] people with the more masculine form of autism tend more to have unusually narrow ranges interest, or singular focuses of attention.

Being very upset afterwards involves having experienced traumatic emotional and mental disassociation before, i.e. during the instinctual compulsion (I presume violence or aggression) that brought about almost calling the police.

So basically his fury possessed him, and his sorrow returned him.

In terms of emotional age proficiency then; he may be an immature preadolescent, and thus in part the childlike temper tantrums ~ as derive from personal restrictions and frustrations regarding his autonomy, and in terms of mental age proficiency ~ he may either be an immature or mature adolescent, and thus in part also the teenage rebellions ~ as derive from social afflictions and aggressions against his individuality.

Simply then ~ this is a maturation development process, where his emotional sensibilities are catching up with and thereby balancing out his physical and mental sensibilities.

Sometimes it takes teenagers quite a few brushes or wrestles with the law before the aggression and violence reach the habitual extinction stage, or alternative measures are employed ~ i.e. safe outlets for the hypertension. Consider deep, gentle and even pelvic breathing as if to gently suck the soles of the feet to the floor ~ as in keeping with my previous post, and sporting activities to burn stress off before it becomes aggression or violence ~ such as going for a walk, a run; a push-bike ride, or getting a punch bag of some sort.

Well, hopefully it is obvious now that your sons Aspergic traits play a fundamental role in all that you have described, but also supporting, threatening and violating behaviour roles will have been learnt by being emotionally, mentally and physically bullied by others, such as is quite commonly taught at most primary and secondary schools by teachers and pupils ~ to less or more inclusive extents and to varying percentile degrees (which can be useful to know).

Another factor perhaps is that in some cases of Asperger’s Syndrome, there is no short term memory but only the long term variant, so there is no immediate recall to begin with, but once the memories are fully logged and addressed, they can stay that way. So by analogy people with short term memories ~ are like people who drive automatically geared postal vans over short distances, and people with long term memories ~ are like people who drive manually greared postal trucks over long distances ~ with the memories being posted information.

In my case I also have no sense of time passing unless I am looking at a time piece, which is a condition called Temporal Aphasia, meaning I am out of phase with time ~ or life has so far been for me nearly a five decade long moment. 

Considering his ‘one-track’ mind-body relationship as being like a direct train from say London to Glasgow, and helping him to learn as if like a train driver to stop at a station and rest up for twenty minutes, and then once established as part of the routine ~ discuss adding a new carriage or activity sort of thing ~ on the basis as many find that obstructing people with autism is not as safe as redirecting them, as is another tried and tested methodology.

Totally classic and fundamentally normal childhood behaviour ~ perhaps at very least silently congratulate your son and yourself, as it did not kick off again. He is learning not only what results in what bit by bit, and what you think is reasonable behaviour along with it, which stead's him well for the future, but also he is learning what responsible behaviour is as such too.

His is as such learning what not to do as an emotionally immature preadolescent, using ‘pester power, or in other words ~ ‘boundary testing’. This is perfectly normal maturation development, late of course for most people, but autistically or “aspergenicallyhappening ~ none the less. And keep in mind that your son has more or less no idea of what other people think as he thinks ‘self-centrically’ ~ not ‘socio-centrically’ which involves having an innate sense of what others think, or in other words he has no ‘Theory of Mind’ (as being ~ the ability to attribute mental states—beliefs, intents, desires, emotions, knowledge, etc.—to oneself, and to others, and to understand that others have beliefs, desires, intentions. ~ Wikipedia)

Make sure that changes are discussed with him calmly and progressively on a show and tell basis in real time, with real actions, using real objects and actual locations.

If the required behavioural action and object relationships cannot be observed, discussed and experimented with ~ there and then ~ it may take much longer for the habitual behaviour to be incorporated into his behavioural routine structure.

It can take three to four months for changes to take hold, and it is really useful keeping the changes at the micro-adjustment level, little by little, bit by bit, as this more avoids articulated lorry like jackknifings and train like derailings involving the police and so fourth.

Well it seems like it, from what you have described, but I may be wrong ~ as I always reserve the right to be wrong ;-)

If any of that helps?

• Weird last night. He went to toilet and had shower in 20 minutes.

Asked him what was different this time - was it because he didn't feel strressed and why sometimes it took an hour or more. His answer? Nah dunno I just tried to be quicker.

Perhaps the sheets he is filling in is allowing him to focus a bit more on the time taken. Good news.

As others have said, maybe the OCD is now fading away and its become more of a habit. Fingers crossed.

• Wise words, Cassandro.

I nagged my teenage AS son, now 22, to come off his computer games when I thought he should be studying or getting some fresh air and exercise, whilst his dad spent/spends 14+ hours a day in the next room in front of a screen working - programming (maybe?). You can see the contradiction here and a value judgement from me about my son’s poor computer usage 'playing' vs my husband’s 'work'.

Anyway, I hadn’t appreciated how much my son was learning during that screen time - about physics, history, philosophy, chess and all sorts of things. He didn’t really communicate about what he was doing. He didn’t always play games, as I’d assumed, he had a world class library at his finger tips, after all! He tells me anyone under 35 doesn’t watch TV, they watch YouTube.

Can you share any of your son’s online interests (or any other interest) to make a more positive connection?  If not, maybe he just needs that time, alone, online.  A lot of working out is going on in the teenage brain.

I am very saddened to hear about the violence, for all of you.  Would you feel confortable to talk to anyone at his school about this? School might be able to help or assist with access to services, if necessary.

There’s lots more I want to say but believe it or not it has taken me more than an hour of screen time to read through problem, answers and edit my stream of consciousness into this reply….

• No not at all. It might have to begin with. But now its sort of accepted as more of an inconvenience to him.

Stimming?

Yes I see what you mean. We've tried to explain things, small steps, give him time but he is not interested at all in anything else.

• If you say 'his OCD doesnt stress him', then it's probably not OCD. It's more probably stimming or special interests related to autism.  The strength of the special interests may not seem rational.

I'm not a parent, but some thoughts anyway. Offering PC time as a reward might work, but really trying to get him to do what you want may be counterproductive.  He may come around to doing what you want eventually, and he may learn to cope with distress without his usual coping mechanisms. Or not. I hope you can find a way to 'de-escalate' the violence - with autistic people, even more than with others, this involves less stimulation and a period of peace and calm and doing what he wants.

I'd just try to find something of common interest so you can communicate. There may be a lot of listening involved before he will listen to you. I presume you want him to start doing things for himself, but he may be scared of what that means, unless you can explain the need in detail and express it as a small, simple positive request, and then allow time.