Special Interests

I don't mind calling an obsession an obsession if it occupies every waking hour of my day, though it seems to be increasingly un-PC and now we talk about 'special interests.' All that aside, what's everyone interested in?

For me as a child it was dinosaurs, then Ancient Egypt and then Pokemon, in that order.

Parents
  • Glad I found this thread as I was going to post something similar.

I find I have a few key interests that remain long-term with a few short term intense ones that vary.

Long-term interests are:

- rabbits

- collecting and analysing personal data (weight, steps, miles covered etc.)

- motorbikes and cars

- nutrition and food

Current short term ones are:

- planners

- architecture

- All music by Gary Numan

- search engine optimisation

- environmental technology (wind farms, solar, smart grids) although this is becoming more of a long-term interest

Does anyone else find they have short term very intense 'obsessions/interests' in particular things?  For me these can last anything from a couple of weeks to months, but I find I have to know everything about it and completely exhaust it before I can move on to the next interest.

• I am a long term Numan fan, so I am with you on this - very pleased to see how his new album 'Savage' is doing in the indie charts.

I subject hop a lot, but somehow I am able to tie the subjects together, if that makes any sense.

• Yes Savage is a great album and I am seeing him at Manchester Academy next Friday so can't wait for that!

Yes I understand how your interests link and lead onto others.  I also revisit interests as well from time to time.

• Yes before the event was really stressful as I had problems finding the venue and got in a bit of a panic.  Managed to calm myself down which I was thankful for.  Luckily, the crowd was tame so no major pushing or shoving although I was quick to leave and get out as soon as the gig finished!  

• Glad you had a great time, I'm jealous apart from the having to go to a big venue full of people thing!

• Well the Manchester gig was amazing.  So professional and polished.  The light show was also stunning.  Apparently he filmed the one he played in Brixham, so no doubt that will be released on DVD or available to watch online.

• Well the Manchester gig was amazing.  So professional and polished.  The light show was also stunning.  Apparently he filmed the one he played in Brixham, so no doubt that will be released on DVD or available to watch online.

Children