How did your day go?

Hi folks,

Today was the first day of my week-long induction into my new job, working as an Individual Support Worker in day services in a local autism charitable trust.  It was an interesting, if exhausting day.  We all got to introduce ourselves and talk about our experiences with autistic people.  I seemed to be the only one who'd worked in care for several years.  Many people were completely new to it.  It was great to see such enthusiasm, though, for working with people on the spectrum.  Most of the people we'll be working with are severely autistic and need 24-hour support.

I was also the only person there with an autism diagnosis, which I mentioned - and which generated a flurry of interest.  The trainers would often come to me for perspectives, and most people seemed generally keen to hear of my experiences both through working with autistic people and through my own personal experiences as an autistic person.  I think this is really going to be a great place to work!

I was anxious as hell over the weekend - mainly about the journey there.  I did a lot of planning, though (my car doesn't have sat-nav) and didn't get lost once, despite a lot of complicated city-centre navigation.  I have a hopeless sense of direction, and one wrong turning would have left me in Nightmare-land!  I feel so much better now!

How was everyone else's day today?

Tom

Parents
  • Hi Tom,

That sounds like a good start to a new chapter in your life. My life has been chaotic but Today I am in the middle of a week off work. I really should not have pushed myself so hard and taken time off for stress, not helped by difficulty in seeing my gp. I am the same with car Journeys, although I have a sat nav for past several months. I think on one trip only, I depended on it to get me where I needed to be. I usually plan the route myself, and have been surprise on a few occaisions where sat nav has told me to take a wrong exit, generally at junctions where it takes many miles to get back on track.

I wish my support worker was liike you, I am sure you will make a huge difference to their lives.I am at odds with the council, and have really burned bridges with them. I told council it was very important I feel the support worker is right, That didn't happen, although he was useful to make me start addressing my hoarding. Have sold over 90 items on ebay, but still buying, roughly about 30. It has taken a lot of effort.

Today I have been stressed out with some purchased on ebay, Just found a seller in US with item I have been looking for years. She only ships to US, but my work has an office in US, so trying to ship it there. Just so many problems with ebay. Hopefully we have got over the worst.

Best Wishes

Random

• Hi Tom,

That sounds like a good start to a new chapter in your life. My life has been chaotic but Today I am in the middle of a week off work. I really should not have pushed myself so hard and taken time off for stress, not helped by difficulty in seeing my gp. I am the same with car Journeys, although I have a sat nav for past several months. I think on one trip only, I depended on it to get me where I needed to be. I usually plan the route myself, and have been surprise on a few occaisions where sat nav has told me to take a wrong exit, generally at junctions where it takes many miles to get back on track.

I wish my support worker was liike you, I am sure you will make a huge difference to their lives.I am at odds with the council, and have really burned bridges with them. I told council it was very important I feel the support worker is right, That didn't happen, although he was useful to make me start addressing my hoarding. Have sold over 90 items on ebay, but still buying, roughly about 30. It has taken a lot of effort.

Today I have been stressed out with some purchased on ebay, Just found a seller in US with item I have been looking for years. She only ships to US, but my work has an office in US, so trying to ship it there. Just so many problems with ebay. Hopefully we have got over the worst.

Best Wishes

Random

Children
No Data