How did your day go?

Hi folks,

Today was the first day of my week-long induction into my new job, working as an Individual Support Worker in day services in a local autism charitable trust.  It was an interesting, if exhausting day.  We all got to introduce ourselves and talk about our experiences with autistic people.  I seemed to be the only one who'd worked in care for several years.  Many people were completely new to it.  It was great to see such enthusiasm, though, for working with people on the spectrum.  Most of the people we'll be working with are severely autistic and need 24-hour support.

I was also the only person there with an autism diagnosis, which I mentioned - and which generated a flurry of interest.  The trainers would often come to me for perspectives, and most people seemed generally keen to hear of my experiences both through working with autistic people and through my own personal experiences as an autistic person.  I think this is really going to be a great place to work!

I was anxious as hell over the weekend - mainly about the journey there.  I did a lot of planning, though (my car doesn't have sat-nav) and didn't get lost once, despite a lot of complicated city-centre navigation.  I have a hopeless sense of direction, and one wrong turning would have left me in Nightmare-land!  I feel so much better now!

How was everyone else's day today?

Tom

Parents Reply
  • Yes that's been a definite for me at times both in work life and at home. I have no control over the depth of emotions and can maintain for so long then burn out. I worked in residential care, education and as carer for mum. I get too involved, can't switch off and no boundaries. This is also mixed in with the depression and anxiety which including the ND eventually led to cfs/fibromyalgia. You see there I go again too intense.. sorry. But yes have been told by medics this happens. Not so easy to guard against either and seems contrary to asd ? 

Children