Online Community - Comments, Improvements and Feedback

Dear Community,

We were pleased to see so many comments about the community on the recent thread about the Leader Board. We are always wanting to learn more about how we can develop the community and so have locked the previous thread so that all comments and suggestions about general improvements to the community can now be placed here on this thread.

Please comment here on any ideas, improvements or feedback you have about the Online Community. 

Please note that although we take on board all your ideas, we may not be able to implement all of them.

As always, please be kind and respectful when commenting to each other.

Thanks,

NAS Moderators

• Good Evening NAS, and to any who may read, and Glad Tidings to WebPM especially. I have not Posted for almost a week, and so I think that I aught to try to say something helpful somewhere by now... and so reiterating a few pertinent matters here may suffice...

Please install the functions (Buttons):
    To Bottom

...and, please excuse my manners, yet...

POSTS ARE STILL DISAPPEARING/REAPPEARING AT RANDOM!

...And I am not the only one experiencing this. (And Please start a New Thread like this one, for this one is Long.) Thank you for your time. おやすみなさい.

• Something that might be good is multiple report options. At the moment there is only "Report as abusive", but it might be good to also have a report spam option and the old "I'm concerned about this person" that was on the old site was useful as well. Whilst you're at it a "Trolling" option may be helpful on rare occasions. Finally a "Mods - Can you help" option, where someone is asking for some NAS information which one of the Mods could supply, either advice or direct contact.

• I was having lots of these 'not secure messages' a few months ago when I was accessing the NAS website via free wi-fi in a pub.

How are you accessing the site?

• Please fix ASAP as the only way that i'm currently able to access this site is through Wikipedia which is crazy! 

Check the following information via this link:

http://community.autism.org.uk/f/miscellaneous-and-chat/11479/what-happened

• Also, why is the NAS website's URL not safe? My URL bar thingy has a circle with an 'i' in it next to the address for this site which is making it very hard for me to reach this site as my computer thinks it's unsafe. Shouldn't there be a padlock there instead? This problem only started about 2 days ago but, if it's simply a 'website down' type of problem, shouldn't it have been fixed at least 1 day ago? 

When it comes to signing in, that involves https, which is secure, and thereafter in term of this being a public domain it cannot be secure as only community members would be able to read the posts if it were. Anything written on this forum involves http. Basically you have to give your device permission to access this site by tapping or clicking the circle with the 'i' in it, and taking it from there. I cannot advise on how to do the permission business, as my knowledge of practical computing is minimal.

If you want to check the site security stuff, use the following link:

http://community.autism.org.uk/f/miscellaneous-and-chat/9209/the-online-community-is-not-secure/45733#45733

• Can you please tell me what the 'Points' I have are for and how I managed to earn them? What do I do with them? 

You get seven 'Points' for each post and I think each thread also, and as far as what you do with them goes, nothing basically.

The points are for social status, which used to put high volume posters at the top of a leader board and low volume posters did not get on it ~ which annoyed some who could not get on it, and worried others who did.

Numerous requests were made to the NAS to get rid of the leader board, and eventually we got to vote on doing away with it, as community members were getting competition and performance anxiety also.

If you would like to read what was written on this issue, use the following link:

http://community.autism.org.uk/f/miscellaneous-and-chat/9398/poll-should-the-community-keep-the-leader-board-please-vote/49411#49411

• Also, why is the NAS website's URL not safe? My URL bar thingy has a circle with an 'i' in it next to the address for this site which is making it very hard for me to reach this site as my computer thinks it's unsafe. Shouldn't there be a padlock there instead? This problem only started about 2 days ago but, if it's simply a 'website down' type of problem, shouldn't it have been fixed at least 1 day ago? 

Please fix ASAP as the only way that i'm currently able to access this site is through Wikipedia which is crazy! 

• Can you please tell me what the 'Points' I have are for and how I managed to earn them? What do I do with them? 

• Greetings, NAS. I know I have said that I really like the new "Load Next/Previous" options... yet if they are indeed partly responsible for replies disappearing in long Threads (and entire Threads not showing up at all?), then I am saying (again) then Please add some "To Bottom" and "Back to Top" Buttons, perhaps instead. As I said, many other Sites/Forums have a "Back to Top" Button, and so I do support that one, Thank You Kindly.

P.S.  - Please start another Thread like this one, for it is now very long and the start of it is somewhat out-of-date (e.g. no Leaderboard anymore). This Post is dated January 2018... and this Thread is dated "Five Months Ago". Or something.

• Silver100 wrote:

Is it possible to have bigger text in the reply box?  I find it difficult to read.

I agree in terms of both writing and readingin the reply box ~ would be nice if the text in the reply box was actually the same size as on the page, rather than 25% smaller. Too much eye-strain is involved with replying to posts in threads currently. I have the page magnification up as high as is amenably possible.

• Is it possible to have bigger text in the reply box?  I find it difficult to read.

• caretwo wrote:

Thank you, , for taking the time to post the link.

Glad to have been of some assistance.

caretwo wrote:

I have had a good 'play' with the add-on and my initials impressions were favourable, however, after visiting a number of sites I have run into the problem of certain colour combinations working for one site but not another. The only way round this it to select different colour combinations based on each site. For me, this is not a practical option. This is a shame as I much prefer the black background.

Although I  have had a 'play' ~ it is nowhere near as simple and easy to use as the Colour That Sight extension was, so I just reset the whole set up and have been using it on "Stylesheet processor" with black background since ~ and it works everywhere as such for me.

Hope this information is useful perhaps.

caretwo wrote:

As I said in an earlier post, by a site not implementing a choice of colour schemes, the onus is on users to find out whether colour changes work with the site (and for every site they visit if they change the colours in their browsers). I still believe that sites associated with such organisations as NAS should be setting good examples for others to follow.

I very very much agree with you on this matter.

• Thank you, , for taking the time to post the link.

I have had a good 'play' with the add-on and my initials impressions were favourable, however, after visiting a number of sites I have run into the problem of certain colour combinations working for one site but not another. The only way round this it to select different colour combinations based on each site. For me, this is not a practical option. This is a shame as I much prefer the black background.

As I said in an earlier post, by a site not implementing a choice of colour schemes, the onus is on users to find out whether colour changes work with the site (and for every site they visit if they change the colours in their browsers). I still believe that sites associated with such organisations as NAS should be setting good examples for others to follow.

• Lonewarrior wrote:

Well having  nearly giving up I  found deepthought s reply, not here but on the main page at the bottom of the latest posts, 

This nested threading business is rather a disorderly and wearying state of affairs, really. 

• Well having  nearly giving up I  found deepthought s reply, not here but on the main page at the bottom of the latest posts, 

• Deepthought 2 hours ago in reply to caretwo
    caretwo wrote:

Thank you but the add-on is written using legacy technology and will not work from Firefox 57 onwards.

I have just upgraded to Firefox 57 myself, and there is a "Dark Background and Light Text Preference" add-on that does page colouration also ~ down-loadable from:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/addon/dark-background-light-text/

• Well I have just spent many minutes looking for the last reply posted here! Deepthought an hour age according to the list of latest topic updatptes, still haven’t found it, I uncompressed all of the various compressed sections! So an embedded reply maybe, I even painstakingly checked the up and down arrows in case he liked a post and it triggered it as a new reply, I have asked before. Why do all the replies have to be a continuose row with embedded posts, If there were ten posts to each relevant numerical indicator and then ten for the next I could choose to fast forward or go straight to the last page see the newest reply,if it didn’t seem to relate on its own I could go back one numericalnpage to see the previous last reply.

Still not able to post pictures of any size or file extensions while in PM. 

Email notifications seem to be random, quite often just random replies but with some missing are within the update, In email notifications my own replies are not included, just responses, so no context, well not for me as being dyslexic my memory is limited, quite often mixed up, I struggle to recall many points, 

Deepthought could you possibly tell me where you posted as my ability to justgive up is not easy, I took the trouble to look as I find your replies most interesting to read, thank you ()

• Former Member wrote:

Thank you but the add-on is written using legacy technology and will not work from Firefox 57 onwards.

I have just upgraded to Firefox 57 myself, and there is a "Dark Background and Light Text Preference" add-on that does page colouration also ~ down-loadable from:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/addon/dark-background-light-text/

• I tried reducing the picture very small in file size below 1mb,still not allowed to post it.that is when in the PM area, so not the answer, oh and despite you saying you would reduce extension types the message still has 67 that apparently are ok! Not true, 

Also while in pm Everything disappeared? All replies, the user I was chatting to vanished, I had to go to their user name and click connect to PM them.

This whole experience is so stressful. I thought I was a bit unstable? Lol.

The image below was screen captured when the PM area crashed!

• I was thinking of trying to get a Christmas jumper along the lines of "I don't do Christmas - I'm autistic" but given the current release of "The Last Jedi" I prefer yours.