Online Community - Comments, Improvements and Feedback

Dear Community,

We were pleased to see so many comments about the community on the recent thread about the Leader Board. We are always wanting to learn more about how we can develop the community and so have locked the previous thread so that all comments and suggestions about general improvements to the community can now be placed here on this thread.

Please comment here on any ideas, improvements or feedback you have about the Online Community. 

Please note that although we take on board all your ideas, we may not be able to implement all of them.

As always, please be kind and respectful when commenting to each other.

Thanks,

NAS Moderators

Parents
  • I'm hoping this is the right place for another bug report for @WebPM. The forum seems to have been working better recently, particularly as regards spam. My current issue seems rare, and doesn't quite fit into the Disappearing Threads thread. I think maybe the latest software update previously mentioned has been applied?

Anyway, this morning I commented in response to some links. The reply in question is here: https://community.autism.org.uk/f/adults-on-the-autistic-spectrum/13241/autism-roots/81392#81392

Now the formatting seemed to break after posting, at the point where the first link is quoted. I didn't do anything particularly unusual except that all I quoted was the link, by selecting the text and then using the quote button. At each link the forum displays the text in italics and further indents as a quotation, by one level too many.

That's the first bug. The second is that I went to edit it to try to fix this formatting. However, on clicking 'edit', I am taken to a different part of the page, find the comment, but only my user name and timestamp appear with none of the text.

Hope you can help.

• This one looks rather exceptional. It's nearer to a glitch than a bug (i.e. something's gone wrong, but it's rather a one-off, and may be too hard to track down for it to be feasible to prevent a repetition - which in any case may be very unlikely). I suspect that the editor plug-in has produced markup so bad that the same editor is not able to open it again in order to correct it. I've seen exactly that problem in Web-page editing in content management systems.

In terms of document structure, as distinct from what you're actually saying, the linked message is relatively complex compared to most posts in this forum. It looks as though something has gone wrong in that structure. I can see several quote end-tags that apparently have no corresponding open tags. Did you by any chance edit the message and move things around when posting originally?

This has occasionally happened with every editor plug-in that I've ever used. I'll see if I can find a workaround to make the code at least valid. That would allow you to edit the message to read as you intended. However, I can't promise a fix.

• I've reproduced the problem in that thread. It may be related to the weirdness that happens when trying to quote two or more paragraphs at once.

I suspect that the editor plug-in has produced markup so bad that the same editor is not able to open it again in order to correct it.

That sounds likely. (Edit: Note that if you use the 'Source code' tool before clicking 'Reply', it looks correct. So it may be some markup filter that's applied by the forum when the post is saved or rendered.)

I can see several quote end-tags that apparently have no corresponding open tags. Did you by any chance edit the message and move things around when posting originally?

Not in a particularly unusual way. The quote may have come in the wrong part of what I was writing so I deleted it, but it seems reproducible without doing that.

I think one workaround may be to avoid dragging over the whole line and then clicking 'Quote', and instead double-clicking to highlight the line.

https://www.autism.org.uk/services/helplines/main.aspx

OK, here goes another test. Sorry for distraction to other users.

https://www.autism.org.uk/services/helplines/main.aspx

Does it require the horizontal rule? (Apparently not)

OK, steps to reproduce:

1) Post a comment including a hyperlink on its own line. Use return to automatically hyperlink.

2) The comment is posted.

3) With the mouse, click to one side of the line with the link and drag over the whole line. The word 'Quote' pops up.

4) Click 'Quote'. A new reply is started, with the quoted line at the top. Note that the text is there, but it is not hyperlinked.

5) Type some text under the quote.

6) Repeat: With the mouse, click to one side of the line with the link and drag over the whole line. The word 'Quote' pops up.

7) click 'Quote', the quoted line appears in the current editing box.

8) Type some more text.

9) Click Reply to save the reply.

10) Result: the typed text is indented as part of the quote, as is all following text. The second quote is intended twice. The string '.../quote] ' appears at the end of the links. The string '[/quöte]' (without the umlaut) appears at the end of the reply.

11) Click 'More' and 'Edit' under the post that has just been created. The editing box does not appear.

• www.autism.org.uk/.../quote]

text

www.autism.org.uk/.../quote]

text

[/quote]
Reply Children
No Data