A change for the worse

"Autism friendly"? No, I don't think so. The original format worked and was a logical set up that was easy to use, this new format is a total illogical mess. The number of posts on this forum and the number of users making them were already in decline. I think this new layout will simply hasten that process. I for one won't be using or visiting this site in future. In fact as soon as I post this I'm going to close my account here.

• I think I will get used to it, but it's going to take some time.  It's a bit like learning to use Facebook for the first time all over again.  I once used a blogging platform that was laid out like our old home page.  It was easy to read, use and follow.  Then they decided to change it all.  Went offline for about a week.  When it came back, everyone struggled.  A lot of people left.  I hope that doesn't happen here. I will persevere.  Maybe if someone could post a primer - preferably with screen shot illustrations, explaining the new layout by reference to the old one.  Just a thought.

• Deleted user said:
    "Autism friendly"? No, I don't think so. The original format worked and was a logical set up that was easy to use, this new format is a total illogical mess.

"Visual hypersensitivity friendly"? Not in my case no. My eyes keep tracking to the pink text and tabs all about, rather than having text-boxes for reference by which to focus on, read and use other text-boxes to track back from.The colour scheme is bad, no balance of colour as before, and glare factor is so intense that I have my computer brightness set at one click from black - making reading really difficult. The text in the reply box is also way to small, and with my eyes tracking from the text in every direction that is pink - I am getting eye-strain, head-ache and neck-ache.

Deleted user said:
    I for one won't be using or visiting this site in future.

This is not a surprise, as people with A.S.D. do not cope well in unfamiliar situations, especially without any information concerning changes to long established routines of productive and meaningful behavior. Confusion and frustration will at least result at one end of the spectrum, whilst at the other end of course, walkouts and meltdowns.

The 'old-look' of the site was more comfortable, characteristic and softer in appearance, whilst the 'new-look' is rather more otherwise and stark. The top 'You are here:' panel could really do with being a quarter the size of the screen, rather than a third of the size - maybe on the home page yes, but not on the forum pages themselves. 

Reasonable adjustments needed. Please - on health grounds.

P.S. The typing reply functions are good though, which are an improvement.

•  - there are several ways of updating yourself on what's been added. It may depend which one you are using?

If you browse by thread, and are signed in, you should find that unread thread titles are bold, and read ones are in normal type. This is remembered even if you sign in next time on a different PC/device. You can browse by thread either in the five individual forums, or in the paginated Recent forum posts list on the home page.

I'll have a think about the issue of marking threads read without actually reading them. I often open forum threads in new tabs, so I suppose you could do that and just close the tab.

It's true that, if you look at the individual recent posts in the "activity stream" further down the home page, there isn't a way to mark those as read (or interesting/not).

Please keep the comments coming.

• I've got to say I'm finding this a bit weird, too.  Don't like change that's too big.  Will keep looking to see if I can get used to it.

• Aaargh! I can't see which threads I've already read nor can I see how to mark unread posts that I don't feel like reading as read,  without actually reading them. 

Any suggestions? 

• Hi BIMOG changes like this are difficult to achieve without some compromises.  I know work/thought went in to keeping it as simple as possible and maintaining a similar structure. A change had to take place because the old system was no longer supported. I would encourage everyone to give the new site a chance. It's the folk in the community that make it what it is.. your involvement is very welcome and appreciated BIMOG do stay and build the community. I'm sure comments will be welcome and improvements forthcoming where possible.