Why nothing for us!!!!

It really annoys me, my brother has CMT and there is a weekend expecally for him and he found his gf there who also has CMT.

I have High functioning Autisim and there is nothing for us, no weekend meetup that takes place every year. Wouldn't it be great if we could atcually have something like that, i might of met a girl if that had happened

Parents
  • Arran said:

Also, are you on Meetup at all? There are groups on there for people with high functioning ASD.

It's disgusting that an organisation funded to the tune of millions expects that the people it should be providing services for have to resort to using Meetup.

[/quote]

It's a charity, it has to do the best it can with limited funding, that generally means helping where it can do the most good, for those who face the hardest situation, it's not there to help people get laid.

There are ways for ASD people to meet people just as there are for normal people, hobbies, shared interests, internet dating etc. but there also has to be a strong dose of realism, if people aren't willing to engage with others and expect someone else to do it for them then it won't work as a relationship anyway. 

I'm single at the moment, I've been in relationships in the past, I think I'm perfectly capable of having a good relationship if/when I meet the right person, I just tended to end up with the wrong people in the past.

In the past I've met people through shared interests, photography, watching sport, music, yes my Asperger's makes me socially awkward but having a shared interest makes that a lot easier, it's something that I'm passionate and knowledgeable about, that I can talk to someone about without coming across as a total weirdo.

I’ve been hit on when out with friends and that direct approach I find incredibly uncomfortable, I don’t really engage in that way and I find it straining, we all have to find our own way, but a group of people all there because they have ASD, I can’t really see that working any better (and almost certainly worse) than a group of people who can’t pole vault. 

• Arran said:

Also, are you on Meetup at all? There are groups on there for people with high functioning ASD.

It's disgusting that an organisation funded to the tune of millions expects that the people it should be providing services for have to resort to using Meetup.

[/quote]

It's a charity, it has to do the best it can with limited funding, that generally means helping where it can do the most good, for those who face the hardest situation, it's not there to help people get laid.

There are ways for ASD people to meet people just as there are for normal people, hobbies, shared interests, internet dating etc. but there also has to be a strong dose of realism, if people aren't willing to engage with others and expect someone else to do it for them then it won't work as a relationship anyway. 

I'm single at the moment, I've been in relationships in the past, I think I'm perfectly capable of having a good relationship if/when I meet the right person, I just tended to end up with the wrong people in the past.

In the past I've met people through shared interests, photography, watching sport, music, yes my Asperger's makes me socially awkward but having a shared interest makes that a lot easier, it's something that I'm passionate and knowledgeable about, that I can talk to someone about without coming across as a total weirdo.

I’ve been hit on when out with friends and that direct approach I find incredibly uncomfortable, I don’t really engage in that way and I find it straining, we all have to find our own way, but a group of people all there because they have ASD, I can’t really see that working any better (and almost certainly worse) than a group of people who can’t pole vault. 

Children
No Data