High Functioning Asperger's Child

Hello there,

We are new to the forum. We have a high functioning Asperger's child who is gifted. He has some faddy eating problems at the moment. Would love to connect with others.

• Hello Trainspotter,

Thanks for your thoughtful post. It sounds as though your range of food is now really very good. My son has overlaps with what you say, but has a more limited range for now- he also likes pure things and does not like food that has been changed too much from its natural state. He has OCD reactions to food too which complicates things. 

It is interesting to hear about your food tastes- I remember that song 'Whatever gets you through your life , it's alright...' and that seems true here.

Well done! Thanks for taking the time to post.

• Hi Leska

Don't take this as what will happen to your son, but it is my experience as a faddy eater.

I am now 62 and have been a fussy eater since I was well under two years old.  My mother tried all sorts of methods to try to make me eat 'proper' food, even making me miss meals because I wouldn't eat.  In fact it wasn't just that I wouldn't eat, I would scream.  And trying to starve me into submission didn't work either.  My mother gave up after more than 24 hours as she didn't want to starve me, just wanted to make me hungry so I would eat.  I can say that did not work, in my case I would just go hungry rather than eat something I did not want to eat or which I found repulsive.

There are certain things I do eat, and always have. Breakfast cerieal, milk, Bread (both wholemeal and white) some raw vegetables (carrots, watercress, radish and lettuce), cheddar cheese,  fish and chips (no peas or other green stuff on them and no sauce or gravy), boiled or poached egg, kippers and sardines.  And a lot of fruit (bananas, oranges, apples, grapes, peaches ....). table jellies.   And not a lot else - jam, honey I will put on bread.  I am a little bit overweight now but not by a lot and am not too unhealthy either.

I think the main thing is find out what your youngster will eat and work on that.  Try to find anything that is healthy that he likes, and use these things as a base.  I don't like food that has been 'messed about with' (my words) and although some people think I must be a nightmare to feed, I am actually very easy, I don't want big meals, just something simple with bread and butter.

You can try slowly adding something with what your son likes, so you gradually introduce new food, but it didn't work for me.

Trying to analyse my likes and dislikes does  not really help - there are some quite strong smelling and tasting food I do like.  But anything with onion, I can detect at fifty paces and cannot bear to be near.  I dont like curry, sauces, or meat.  In fact I could not even put them in my mouth let alone swallow them.

But I am still alive ....  so it has not done me too much harm.