Muddling Dreams and Reality?

I am trying to understand my autistic 8 year old better.  Has anyone ever had dreams that then become confused as reality?  Is this an autistic trait?

Thanks

CJ

Parents
  • I have had dreams at times that I wasn't sure afterwards if they were dreams or not.  On one occasion I dreamt I had committed an extremely serious crime and it was not until several weeks afterwards that I had confirmation it was'nt something I had actually done. 

Dreams send us to a completely different world but this world still imparts ideas into our conciousness which can be confused with memories. And if you are on medication, many of them can enhance this experience.

If anyone has ever been unfortunate enough to have a loved one suffer from dementia you may have heard sometimes that they think they have been doing all sorts of tasks, or have been places in the recent past with people who died many years ago.  I put this down to some sort of dreaming which gets caught in their reality.

Several times when someone I knew well has died, I have thought I have seen them when out, in places like the park or in town.  I think this is just really not processing things properly, as soon as I thought about it I knew it wasn't possible.  But for a fleeting moment reality has been put to one side.  And this is not something that has recently started, it has been with me as long as I can remember so it is not me going senile.

The human mind is very complex and I don't think it is surprising we sometimes get things a little muddled.

• I have had dreams at times that I wasn't sure afterwards if they were dreams or not.  On one occasion I dreamt I had committed an extremely serious crime and it was not until several weeks afterwards that I had confirmation it was'nt something I had actually done. 

Dreams send us to a completely different world but this world still imparts ideas into our conciousness which can be confused with memories. And if you are on medication, many of them can enhance this experience.

If anyone has ever been unfortunate enough to have a loved one suffer from dementia you may have heard sometimes that they think they have been doing all sorts of tasks, or have been places in the recent past with people who died many years ago.  I put this down to some sort of dreaming which gets caught in their reality.

Several times when someone I knew well has died, I have thought I have seen them when out, in places like the park or in town.  I think this is just really not processing things properly, as soon as I thought about it I knew it wasn't possible.  But for a fleeting moment reality has been put to one side.  And this is not something that has recently started, it has been with me as long as I can remember so it is not me going senile.

The human mind is very complex and I don't think it is surprising we sometimes get things a little muddled.

Children
No Data