Muddling Dreams and Reality?

I am trying to understand my autistic 8 year old better.  Has anyone ever had dreams that then become confused as reality?  Is this an autistic trait?

Thanks

CJ

Parents
  • Hello D, and Vometia, Thank you for your ongoing thoghts, it is very interesting reading about all of these things and thanks for clarifying Lucid dreams, I had always wondered!

D,  my daughter has more complex issues that the average person, let alone the fact she has to deal with her Autism too, her nanny died in 2014 whom she idolized and after watching him suffer for 5 years, her dad died in May this year.  We also had a little boy in 2013 and have moved twice.  So for someone who's 'disability' means she doesn't like change, has had a lot to deal with.  

'Jane' from ASD Helping Hands has pointed out that they think she also has a 'double processing' issue, so if you are not familiar; I am aware that the funeral for her dad was in May, but only two weeks ago did she start processing this - we communicate in writing often, and this is where we are.  'Jane' believes that she has to process the funeral, and then after that then has to process the feelings that derived from that, so has to spend double the time on everything.

She is terribly stressed at the moment, as I am, as anyone would with what she has just been through.  I am reserching whether a change of school would be suitable, she is in mainstream at the minute, but I am beginning to get the impression they do not understand her.  I have also just discovered, it looks like she has Sensory Vestibular, the OT is going to double check but the waiting time is 18+ weeks.  She is so, so active and will complain things like - my legs hurt, becuase I haven't been running! She will run around for ages, use her trampolene etc.  So it looks like school need to keep her move active during the day, so she can cope better at home. 

She is in till 5pm on a Weds and Thurs, so it was dark.  I tried letting her run as much as she wanted to, where possible, and gave her a few spins (this is increadibly hard for me.), but by tonight we were at meltdown point by the time we collected her brother form a different school.  Withing 15 mins the meltdown was bubbling to the point, I instantly requested assistance from a neighbour, who had to stay for 3+ hours again, to ensure we were all safe.  

No running = MELTDOWN from hell!

Anyway - sorry I have waffled alot, I have no one to talk to really who completely understands.

Thanks,

CJ

• Hello D, and Vometia, Thank you for your ongoing thoghts, it is very interesting reading about all of these things and thanks for clarifying Lucid dreams, I had always wondered!

D,  my daughter has more complex issues that the average person, let alone the fact she has to deal with her Autism too, her nanny died in 2014 whom she idolized and after watching him suffer for 5 years, her dad died in May this year.  We also had a little boy in 2013 and have moved twice.  So for someone who's 'disability' means she doesn't like change, has had a lot to deal with.  

'Jane' from ASD Helping Hands has pointed out that they think she also has a 'double processing' issue, so if you are not familiar; I am aware that the funeral for her dad was in May, but only two weeks ago did she start processing this - we communicate in writing often, and this is where we are.  'Jane' believes that she has to process the funeral, and then after that then has to process the feelings that derived from that, so has to spend double the time on everything.

She is terribly stressed at the moment, as I am, as anyone would with what she has just been through.  I am reserching whether a change of school would be suitable, she is in mainstream at the minute, but I am beginning to get the impression they do not understand her.  I have also just discovered, it looks like she has Sensory Vestibular, the OT is going to double check but the waiting time is 18+ weeks.  She is so, so active and will complain things like - my legs hurt, becuase I haven't been running! She will run around for ages, use her trampolene etc.  So it looks like school need to keep her move active during the day, so she can cope better at home. 

She is in till 5pm on a Weds and Thurs, so it was dark.  I tried letting her run as much as she wanted to, where possible, and gave her a few spins (this is increadibly hard for me.), but by tonight we were at meltdown point by the time we collected her brother form a different school.  Withing 15 mins the meltdown was bubbling to the point, I instantly requested assistance from a neighbour, who had to stay for 3+ hours again, to ensure we were all safe.  

No running = MELTDOWN from hell!

Anyway - sorry I have waffled alot, I have no one to talk to really who completely understands.

Thanks,

CJ

Children
No Data