Muddling Dreams and Reality?

I am trying to understand my autistic 8 year old better.  Has anyone ever had dreams that then become confused as reality?  Is this an autistic trait?

Thanks

CJ

Parents
  • It's an interesting subject.  I don't think I've ever totally confused dreams and reality, though there's been enough things I've vaguely remembered where I'm not sure if it's something that actually happened or something I dreamt.  Nothing especially major, and probably not very unusual, but still a bit of a head-scratcher sometimes.

The things that do give me pause for thought is my unconscious mind's apparent bloody-mindedness when it comes to trying to outwit me.  There's been so many times I've started to become aware that maybe it's a dream and my subconscious tries to prove it isn't.  I'll pay close attention to my surroundings, examine the detail of things and it'll be so utterly convincing, whether it's just random bits of tat or other apparently inconsequential details.  I remember one time I was stood in the meadow in front of my old house and had that nagging feeling, but no, I could feel the just slightly uncomfortably cool night breeze blowing my hair about and buffeting my clothes and watched the grass swaying about, I could smell the earthy aroma of the night air, I could hear far-away sounds as they carried, I admired the yellow full-moon in the sky.  It was quite big but looked awesome.  And that was the point my unconscious mind gave the game away: "what would look more awesome is if there were two moons!  Ooh yeah."  So there I was, stood in the breezy meadow admiring two moons knowing I wasn't really there, but my mind was having fun by that point and I wasn't waking up until it was done, apparently.

Not as bad as the times when I do wake up and think I'm actually awake, and don't quite notice that things aren't quite right like none of the lights in the house working, as happened recently: scary, but more irritating than anything.  Until I actually woke up for real.

At least it seems to keep me entertained, but it is cantankerous and annoying.  I wonder where it'll take me tonight, whether it'll be somewhere new or one of its serialisations.  I'll probably dream about toilets with no paper in them, that's a particular favourite for no reason I can fathom.

• It's an interesting subject.  I don't think I've ever totally confused dreams and reality, though there's been enough things I've vaguely remembered where I'm not sure if it's something that actually happened or something I dreamt.  Nothing especially major, and probably not very unusual, but still a bit of a head-scratcher sometimes.

The things that do give me pause for thought is my unconscious mind's apparent bloody-mindedness when it comes to trying to outwit me.  There's been so many times I've started to become aware that maybe it's a dream and my subconscious tries to prove it isn't.  I'll pay close attention to my surroundings, examine the detail of things and it'll be so utterly convincing, whether it's just random bits of tat or other apparently inconsequential details.  I remember one time I was stood in the meadow in front of my old house and had that nagging feeling, but no, I could feel the just slightly uncomfortably cool night breeze blowing my hair about and buffeting my clothes and watched the grass swaying about, I could smell the earthy aroma of the night air, I could hear far-away sounds as they carried, I admired the yellow full-moon in the sky.  It was quite big but looked awesome.  And that was the point my unconscious mind gave the game away: "what would look more awesome is if there were two moons!  Ooh yeah."  So there I was, stood in the breezy meadow admiring two moons knowing I wasn't really there, but my mind was having fun by that point and I wasn't waking up until it was done, apparently.

Not as bad as the times when I do wake up and think I'm actually awake, and don't quite notice that things aren't quite right like none of the lights in the house working, as happened recently: scary, but more irritating than anything.  Until I actually woke up for real.

At least it seems to keep me entertained, but it is cantankerous and annoying.  I wonder where it'll take me tonight, whether it'll be somewhere new or one of its serialisations.  I'll probably dream about toilets with no paper in them, that's a particular favourite for no reason I can fathom.

Children
No Data