cannabis oil

Our 3 year old boy is in the final process of officially being diagnosed, and we are probably like many  other families , in that we are always online desperately looking for help/ advice  that  may  help our boy, we have come  across articles on cannabis oil  ( albeit mainly on  American sites ) has any one got any views on this? Is it legal here ,does it help, has anyone any experience of it ? 

Parents
  • Dear pattym

I think that you are obviously doing this research for empathic reasons, however, you must be very careful in vetting information sources on the internet. After some minor research I have found some significant claims regarding the use of substances and treatment such as cannabis oil and similar claims from other, sometimes vastly different, treatments.

Regarding the use of cannabis specifically; there is indeed a lot of furore regarding the potential for the active components of this and similar drugs to aid in the treatment of a large variety of conditions (including conditions such as autism and Asperger autism all the way to certain types of cancer). Some of this research looks promising and appears to show some fairly surprising mechanisms of action.

However, where this research is occurring, this is not in the form of cannabis oil as supplied by the US vendours. Please be aware that the best treatment mechanism (application method, dosage and dosage form) are not currently known (for example, a high dosage may be detrimental and a low dosage may have no observable effect), as such uncontrolled use (which is what it would be where supplied by these websites) is not advisable.

I suspect that the potential for this drug, as advertised, to essentially ‘cure’ autism is the item which is of most interest. This cannot be verified and if further information is incredibly likely to resort to hearsay if further information on the cure was requested (i.e. testing was not confirmed by clinical trials and is likely to rely on unconfirmable success stories)

In addition to this, autism is a large variety of different symptoms given a single name (generally there are some ‘core’ symptoms which people with this condition are afflicted by, these may be mixed and matched depending on the individual, i.e.; not all autism is alike although there are likely to be similar aspects across multiple people).

Regarding general drug treatments for those with autism; depending on the severity of his autism, your grandson may be prescribed medication to help with his attention at school (e.g. Ritalin) or to prevent violent outbursts (e.g. risperidone). Where this is the case, the use of additional medications is not recommended without the consent of a physician/GP or both.

One thing which may help is a book called ‘reframe your thinking around autism’. It is a relatively simple and short book which discusses potential causes and motivations of your grandson’s actions/feelings, and how you may help him explore and be comfortable with them and his environment. It also contains some relatively safe online references for further reading, and should show you that a diagnosis of autism is not all ‘doom-and-gloom’.

I wish you all the best in your and your grandson’s future, but cannot emphasise enough the requirement for scepticism when vetting information from the internet.

• Dear pattym

I think that you are obviously doing this research for empathic reasons, however, you must be very careful in vetting information sources on the internet. After some minor research I have found some significant claims regarding the use of substances and treatment such as cannabis oil and similar claims from other, sometimes vastly different, treatments.

Regarding the use of cannabis specifically; there is indeed a lot of furore regarding the potential for the active components of this and similar drugs to aid in the treatment of a large variety of conditions (including conditions such as autism and Asperger autism all the way to certain types of cancer). Some of this research looks promising and appears to show some fairly surprising mechanisms of action.

However, where this research is occurring, this is not in the form of cannabis oil as supplied by the US vendours. Please be aware that the best treatment mechanism (application method, dosage and dosage form) are not currently known (for example, a high dosage may be detrimental and a low dosage may have no observable effect), as such uncontrolled use (which is what it would be where supplied by these websites) is not advisable.

I suspect that the potential for this drug, as advertised, to essentially ‘cure’ autism is the item which is of most interest. This cannot be verified and if further information is incredibly likely to resort to hearsay if further information on the cure was requested (i.e. testing was not confirmed by clinical trials and is likely to rely on unconfirmable success stories)

In addition to this, autism is a large variety of different symptoms given a single name (generally there are some ‘core’ symptoms which people with this condition are afflicted by, these may be mixed and matched depending on the individual, i.e.; not all autism is alike although there are likely to be similar aspects across multiple people).

Regarding general drug treatments for those with autism; depending on the severity of his autism, your grandson may be prescribed medication to help with his attention at school (e.g. Ritalin) or to prevent violent outbursts (e.g. risperidone). Where this is the case, the use of additional medications is not recommended without the consent of a physician/GP or both.

One thing which may help is a book called ‘reframe your thinking around autism’. It is a relatively simple and short book which discusses potential causes and motivations of your grandson’s actions/feelings, and how you may help him explore and be comfortable with them and his environment. It also contains some relatively safe online references for further reading, and should show you that a diagnosis of autism is not all ‘doom-and-gloom’.

I wish you all the best in your and your grandson’s future, but cannot emphasise enough the requirement for scepticism when vetting information from the internet.

Children
No Data