Looking in the eyes

My discovery journey helps me realise some things about myself. And here is what I noticed about the eye contact. While it’s uncomfortable with others, I noticed that I actually like looking into my own eyes in a mirror. I also noticed, that they are actually not blue, as I was always told. Depending on the light they change colors. I can see it in the mirror and photos. Sometimes they are blue like a lagoon sometimes grey but often also green. In the dim warm bathroom light they are green. How about others here? Do you also like looking into your own eyes in the mirror? My own eyes are the only one that don’t penetrate my soul. Others - do, and it’s painful or at least unpleasant. If anyone likes to take part in the discussion and share thoughts or experience, I will be grateful and happy. 

Parents
  • I have a strange relationship with eyes. Eyes are the main thing that I find attractive about people. My tragedy is that I can't look at them with any comfort. My wife has big beautiful blue eyes, and yet I still look away or look at the bridge of her nose when talking to her. I sneak proper looks when she is not looking at me.

I have a funnier relationship with mirrors because I do not use them. (I did in my teens when my hair was a bit of an obsession - but that was almost like 'special interest' wanting to look like a favourite band member than vanity). 

I was in a pub once where the bar was in the middle of the room. I thought that it was at the side and was mirrored. I commented to a friend about the mirror and they said - isn't it obvious that it's not a mirror because you are not in the reflection? I hadn't noticed my absence. I think a psychologist would read all sorts into that, but I think that it's just because I use them for their purpose so little.

I think that you have inspired me to have a look when I get home to study what my own eyes look like 

• Same here, generally I can stare at someone and even study the shape and color of their eyes, observe how they behave when they speak, I watch it like kind of movie or soap opera, but whenever the person looks back at me - I look away and unable to make a proper eye contact when they are looking me in my eyes. The closer the person is the more painful it feels. It’s not a big issue with my husband because he doesn’t mind having a conversation when sitting or walking side by side and not looking into each others eyes at all but I feel it may be an issue with my daughter. Unfortunately I also find it uncomfortable to look my little daughter in the eyes. When I speak to her I make short eye contact and then I look at her mouth or nose or whole face generally. I hug her and kiss her cheeks and forehead and I speak to her I’m never aggressive I’m doing my best to be a good mother. 

• Same here, generally I can stare at someone and even study the shape and color of their eyes, observe how they behave when they speak, I watch it like kind of movie or soap opera, but whenever the person looks back at me - I look away and unable to make a proper eye contact when they are looking me in my eyes. The closer the person is the more painful it feels. It’s not a big issue with my husband because he doesn’t mind having a conversation when sitting or walking side by side and not looking into each others eyes at all but I feel it may be an issue with my daughter. Unfortunately I also find it uncomfortable to look my little daughter in the eyes. When I speak to her I make short eye contact and then I look at her mouth or nose or whole face generally. I hug her and kiss her cheeks and forehead and I speak to her I’m never aggressive I’m doing my best to be a good mother. 

Children