What do you think about the idea that autistic people should have our own state

I am curious because there is an actual (online) movement for this which I am a part of and I am interested in your opinions

Parents
  • Would it not be better for society to be properly educated about autism and to rethink the way that they live thier own lives and see that much of what they currently do are making the lives of autistic people needlessly more difficult 

• Would it not be better for society to be properly educated about autism and to rethink the way that they live thier own lives and see that much of what they currently do are making the lives of autistic people needlessly more difficult 

Children
  • This would be ideal but sadly it is unrealistic.

• Yes Irish, it definitely would, however I can't see it happening. If people don't have autistic sensitivities, it's really difficult for them to imagine how they are making other people's lives difficult. Only those with strong empathy who know autistic people well and /or care about them will try to make accommodations. Yes, those people do exist (we wouldn't have this forum without them) but I believe they are still a minority. 

I don't actually expect anyone - apart from an employer - to make any accommodations for me because I'm autistic. Maybe I should, but I think I'm just being a realist. And we are all aware that there are some employers who are not interested in trying to meet the needs of their employees - even the law only says they have to consider requests for "reasonable adjustments" . Who says what is reasonable?

It would be nice to live somewhere that is autism friendly, but I have no idea how that could be set up.

• Far better IIM, if there was an autistic country then people would have to find a load of other things to fight about.