Skating

Does anyone else enjoy skating. I have started going to a quad roller skating group (discos!). I also now go to an in-line skating group which goes out into the parks in the better weather. I've always enjoyed ice skating although don't go that often as I could never find skates that didn't hurt my feet.

I find skating wonderful exercise and it is especially good for developing the 'core muscles' in the stomach area as well as strengthening the legs and improving the balance.

I have not been to any classes but in typical Autie or Aspie fashion I can learn by teaching myself and can now skate backwards.

Parents
  • Greetings to anyone here. This is a Four Year Old Thread, yet given the topic - Skating - anyone reading should still be doing it, at least at times...?

I am asking - Here - if anyone then or now, ever or still now does RollerSkating (not Ice Skating), especially in London. Hyde Park and Battersea Park are the main places to do so. Good Fortune to All who do so anyway.

(Edit. July 2018: I am re-posting this because it is 'The Season' for it right now. I originally posted this four months ago, before. I just want to know if I am alone or not, in being an Adult RollerSkater with Autism, who is upon this Forum. Ta very muchly.)

• I used to ice skate a lot as a kid, and I own a pair of rollerblades because I mistakenly thought that would be basically the same thing. I am fine as long as the ground is flat, but even the shallowest incline and I speed out of control, because I don't really know how to stop (leaning backward is counterintuitive because I am afraid of falling over backwards). Unfortunately, there isn't really anywhere that is completely flat, so the rollerblades mostly stay in my closet lol. I mainly get around on my bike, which has brakes that I know how to use.

• Unfortunately, there isn't really anywhere that is completely flat

Glad Tidings to DragonCat16! I mainly write a Thank You for at least someone else on this site doing so and responding that they do/did so!

The Quote I give... this is true. Ice Skating and StreetSkating are different, I might say that one is (nowadays) artificial (a RINK) and the other is across hills, cobbles, grass, etc. I once heard a discussion about it, which ended something like: "Yeah Ice Skating is easy, but here, if you fall, you lose SKIN, man!" which all who heard it including myself thought was amusing at the time... (!)

To end, though, I mainly wanted to know if I am/was alone (here) in doing this. I am/was trying to learn... but it is hard to learn how to do something  in front of hostile strangers (including children). I have written other Threads about "hostility", and so I only say here that I wanted to know if I was alone or not. Skaters are very supportive and friendly, but it is not enough to offset being targeted by hostile strangers.

...'Keep those knees bent!'      ;-)

• Thanks again. Just we two, partly with DragonCat16, Skate-Wise then. So I guess I am letting this Thread go, now... 

(What you say about Security Guards I understand as well. I do not know when/if I shall start such a Thread (before anyone else). It would be similar to the "Bullying" Thread. In any case, Have a Nice Day and Thanks again!)

• I too get followed by security people!

is it that we don’t blend in like everyone else therefore as we stand out those that are trained to spot different to the preconceived normality given by most see us as a potential threat in some way?

I do have fun leading them around super markets, sometimes I reach the end of an isle and as soon as I am out of thier sight I speed walk/slide so when they look for me I have gained a lot of ground, I then act nonchalant..

Or I stop and walk straight towards them hesitating as I draw level. Best of all is to say “ can I help you in some way? “ which often makes them look embarrassed and they shuffle off quickly.

I would certainly be a target at say an airport as I would be looking at how conveyor belts have progressed or counting how many panes of glass and do they create a pattern as in numerical. How many screws per panel and are there an even number, my mind never stops, Lol.

I also people watch,,,

take care and maybe one day we can have us a race you on skates me on my snow skates Lol. The one in front must act as a tow yes!

take care. X()x

• Here is another weird effect, quite funny, though.

One time I was skating easily... then I saw a small flash to my far right, and then I just fell over for no reason. Another skater kindly helped me up, and I saw my trouble saunter past us... it was a photographer. In the way I learned, I simply stood still, back turned, to wait for the photographer to move away out of boredom...

Then a skilled Speed-Skater (you know, one of those ones who wears tight lycra) whizzed past me, and I saw a flash from the photographer again... and the Speed Skater then fell over for no apparent reason as well!

• are there no skaters about now?

Thanks Muchly. As I said, I could tell stories... I shall summarise one aspect of my troubles. Until I showed up upon a regular basis, I did not know that there were certain International Embassies (!) overlooking Hyde Park. When I skated, and rested, I would be tailed and harassesd by persons of a certain type - They would hang around, take photographs, discourage me, try to ask who I am and why I was there - yes, even as I had skates on!

When resting, sometimes whole families of them would come out... they beeline right at me, then hang around, and leave only when I left, andd follow where I go. This is a thing nothing to do with skating, which is part of my Cynosure effect, which I have wanted to start another Thread about. (Security Guards.) But not now.

...There are plenty of Skaters still about - But I am the Cynosure out of all of them! (I.e. - Do not worry, I am used to it... just not at the same time as Skating, yet.)

• are there no skaters about now?

Thanks Muchly. As I said, I could tell stories... I shall summarise one aspect of my troubles. Until I showed up upon a regular basis, I did not know that there were certain International Embassies (!) overlooking Hyde Park. When I skated, and rested, I would be tailed and harassesd by persons of a certain type - They would hang around, take photographs, discourage me, try to ask who I am and why I was there - yes, even as I had skates on!

When resting, sometimes whole families of them would come out... they beeline right at me, then hang around, and leave only when I left, andd follow where I go. This is a thing nothing to do with skating, which is part of my Cynosure effect, which I have wanted to start another Thread about. (Security Guards.) But not now.

...There are plenty of Skaters still about - But I am the Cynosure out of all of them! (I.e. - Do not worry, I am used to it... just not at the same time as Skating, yet.)

Children
  • Thanks again. Just we two, partly with DragonCat16, Skate-Wise then. So I guess I am letting this Thread go, now... 

(What you say about Security Guards I understand as well. I do not know when/if I shall start such a Thread (before anyone else). It would be similar to the "Bullying" Thread. In any case, Have a Nice Day and Thanks again!)

• I too get followed by security people!

is it that we don’t blend in like everyone else therefore as we stand out those that are trained to spot different to the preconceived normality given by most see us as a potential threat in some way?

I do have fun leading them around super markets, sometimes I reach the end of an isle and as soon as I am out of thier sight I speed walk/slide so when they look for me I have gained a lot of ground, I then act nonchalant..

Or I stop and walk straight towards them hesitating as I draw level. Best of all is to say “ can I help you in some way? “ which often makes them look embarrassed and they shuffle off quickly.

I would certainly be a target at say an airport as I would be looking at how conveyor belts have progressed or counting how many panes of glass and do they create a pattern as in numerical. How many screws per panel and are there an even number, my mind never stops, Lol.

I also people watch,,,

take care and maybe one day we can have us a race you on skates me on my snow skates Lol. The one in front must act as a tow yes!

take care. X()x

• Here is another weird effect, quite funny, though.

One time I was skating easily... then I saw a small flash to my far right, and then I just fell over for no reason. Another skater kindly helped me up, and I saw my trouble saunter past us... it was a photographer. In the way I learned, I simply stood still, back turned, to wait for the photographer to move away out of boredom...

Then a skilled Speed-Skater (you know, one of those ones who wears tight lycra) whizzed past me, and I saw a flash from the photographer again... and the Speed Skater then fell over for no apparent reason as well!