Skating

Does anyone else enjoy skating. I have started going to a quad roller skating group (discos!). I also now go to an in-line skating group which goes out into the parks in the better weather. I've always enjoyed ice skating although don't go that often as I could never find skates that didn't hurt my feet.

I find skating wonderful exercise and it is especially good for developing the 'core muscles' in the stomach area as well as strengthening the legs and improving the balance.

I have not been to any classes but in typical Autie or Aspie fashion I can learn by teaching myself and can now skate backwards.

Parents
  • This is a fairly new thing and long needed. It is 'Inclusive Skating' organisation aimed at children and adults who are disabled. I visited a rink local to me where IS runs and it was great. There are many autistic children especially attend the session. I also watched the members of this club complete at a national competition which was so great to see.

www.inclusiveskating.org/

As usual though I wouldn't attend as I always feel I come across as too NT in appearance so people would be continually asking me why I was there. I did go and volunteer at a session though and it was a great atmosphere. Both the children and the adult skaters seemed like they have having a lovely time. The distance is a bit much from where I stay and also due to being unemployed I don' thave a lot of money to pay for regular travel on trains this far. Also amongst the volunteers I was the only Aspie which can be hard.

• This is a fairly new thing and long needed. It is 'Inclusive Skating' organisation aimed at children and adults who are disabled. I visited a rink local to me where IS runs and it was great. There are many autistic children especially attend the session. I also watched the members of this club complete at a national competition which was so great to see.

www.inclusiveskating.org/

As usual though I wouldn't attend as I always feel I come across as too NT in appearance so people would be continually asking me why I was there. I did go and volunteer at a session though and it was a great atmosphere. Both the children and the adult skaters seemed like they have having a lovely time. The distance is a bit much from where I stay and also due to being unemployed I don' thave a lot of money to pay for regular travel on trains this far. Also amongst the volunteers I was the only Aspie which can be hard.

Children
No Data