How do you check what normal behaviour is?

Hi, 

How does everyone go about checking what they perceive as normal behaviour is quite normal when it contrasts with another person? 

For example - I have a hospital trip coming up with 3 scans that are quite urgent. In the past if this is a loved one, I have offered to go and made it a priority to support the person. 

my mum today said she didn’t offer to come because it was just a scan and she didn’t think it was important and that I view things differently. 

that’s just one example, this happens to me quite a lot so I would like to know how you check on kind of what your brains perceives being normal? 

Parents
  • I have a hospital trip coming up with 3 scans that are quite urgent. In the past if this is a loved one, I have offered to go and made it a priority to support the person. 

Normality is quite a variable thing - but in the context here if the person having the scans is unlikely to be in need of support then there is no need for someone to go with them.

It will depend on the circumstances and the person - a very nuanced thing.

I only ask someone to go with me if the procedure will affect my capabilities - for example I had a pair or procedures that involved me being sedated while tubes were inserted in various orifices and it took me a while to wake up afterwards and my judgement was impared so I needed someone to be there to stop me wandering off in a gown with my bum hanging out.

A scan is unlikely to require this however if the person is likely to be affected by the potential of the condition that is being investigated (think it they are worried senseless that they have cancer) then they may want a emotional support human with them to tell them it is all ok and to get them back home again.

Reply Children
No Data