Need to take an indefinite break

Things have been said here that I find triggering, and not supportive of those who are disabled. Ideally  I'd block, but that is not an option. Therefore I've been left with no choice but to take an indefinite break. I will check  periodically to see if it has,for me, returned to being  a pro disabled environment.

Parents
  • I hope you're okay.  If something I've said has been offensive, I take responsibility and apologise as I'm not aware of it.  I think the nature of Autism can cause communication challenges and I hope there wasn't nastiness on here.  I feel I've missed something and hope it was a misunderstanding.... I just read through the link Debbie posted on here and see that it wasn't anything to do with what I've said, it was a political debate.  I think it's in my best interest to leave too.  I wish I was as resilient as you Debbie and able to do the same but I'm a sensitive soul so will only end up eventually getting hurt which I want to prevent.  It's been nice seeing folks on here again and I've enjoyed it but I agree with Debbie this forum can be a hostile place.  I'm sure many of us are here to avoid feeling that. 

• I think it's in my best interest to leave too.  I wish I was as resilient as you Debbie and able to do the same but I'm a sensitive soul so will only end up eventually getting hurt which I want to prevent.

I have avoided reading this thread until now but having read it I have just come back briefly to say that your post saddened me.

I am not as resilient as I may appear to you hence my departure once again (although at present I am keeping an ID).

I wish you all the very best for the future. 

Take care Bouquet

• Debbie, I appreciate you being honest on here.  It's hugely reassuring so I don't feel alone in my extreme sensitive and emotional nature.  

I'm keeping my profile at the moment as I don't see any option to delete it and emailing NAS doesn't seem to achieve anything since I've never received a response back.

Perhaps your idea of keeping your ID is a better option than leaving altogether since we all gain to much from giving and receiving support from one another despite the cruelness that happens from time to time. 

• because I have so little in common with the majority of people on the site.

That's how I feel a lot of the time. I'm not functioning on anywhere near the same level as most here, judging by comments made.  For me the ASD and SZ/SZ-A are definite disabilities, whereas for some here their autism is euphemistically just a 'different  way of being'. I don't identify with the profoundly autistic, but equally so  I don't identify with the many high achieving types that post here. I was not in favour of the lumping together that occurred.

• I see what you're saying and I agree as I feel similar myself in that I don't feel I fit anywhere.  I also 100% agree that the forum needs better regulation.  It also feels strange that certain topics are no go when I feel they are very interesting.  I do like the fact I learn a great deal from others here and gain from being able to try to support others on here but it's hard going with the lack of regulation....

• But apart from cats, I don't feel any real commonality, I feel as much an outsider here as I do off here. I think theres a lot of normalising that goes on on here and if you don't conform to the group norms then you feel misunderstood and ignored.

I don't feel this forum is well regulated or moderated, there's no way to block pople you don't get on with and the site itself feels clunky and slow.

• But apart from cats, I don't feel any real commonality, I feel as much an outsider here as I do off here. I think theres a lot of normalising that goes on on here and if you don't conform to the group norms then you feel misunderstood and ignored.

I don't feel this forum is well regulated or moderated, there's no way to block pople you don't get on with and the site itself feels clunky and slow.

Children
  • I see what you're saying and I agree as I feel similar myself in that I don't feel I fit anywhere.  I also 100% agree that the forum needs better regulation.  It also feels strange that certain topics are no go when I feel they are very interesting.  I do like the fact I learn a great deal from others here and gain from being able to try to support others on here but it's hard going with the lack of regulation....