How to define meltdown?

I was wondering how you know when you’re having a meltdown vs panic attack vs anxiety attack, etc. 

The only real difference that I understand between panic and anxiety attacks are panic attacks are sudden without a cause and are more intense, while anxiety attacks build up over time? I don’t know how you can rate the intensity unless you have something to compare to and I feel like something could be more intense to one person than another person. I think I’ve had a couple panic attacks in my life (where it was intense enough that it felt like the world was ending) but I’m not sure because those had reasons.

And then I have no basis for difference between meltdown and an attack. 

Parents
  • Hi FH

I have posted about this before so apologies to anyone who has read this previously. I have suffered panic attacks for the best part of 30 years now. Mine happen for a few reasons, it can be the anticipation of something or from after something when you would normally expect it to be ok and calm. Since my realisation of being Neurodivergent my panic attacks for the first time in a long time have probably reduced by 85%. I honestly feel so much better not having this dark cloud over me almost permanently. My therapist said it is because I am starting to accept myself. 
    Im not sure about anxiety attack but for me I believe it’s when people spring things onto me with no warning or time to prepare. It feels horrible as it completely takes up all the space in my head. 
    I believe (and I’m no expert) that a meltdown to me is very similar to my son’s experience of one. I am very low at this time, grumpy and unable to get out of that moment without it running its course. It makes me feel very childish but I really don’t mean to behave in the way I do. I was in a traffic jam a while ago and late for an appointment by 45 minutes, it took me 2 days to get over that and it still creeps into my head now. 

• Hi FH

I have posted about this before so apologies to anyone who has read this previously. I have suffered panic attacks for the best part of 30 years now. Mine happen for a few reasons, it can be the anticipation of something or from after something when you would normally expect it to be ok and calm. Since my realisation of being Neurodivergent my panic attacks for the first time in a long time have probably reduced by 85%. I honestly feel so much better not having this dark cloud over me almost permanently. My therapist said it is because I am starting to accept myself. 
    Im not sure about anxiety attack but for me I believe it’s when people spring things onto me with no warning or time to prepare. It feels horrible as it completely takes up all the space in my head. 
    I believe (and I’m no expert) that a meltdown to me is very similar to my son’s experience of one. I am very low at this time, grumpy and unable to get out of that moment without it running its course. It makes me feel very childish but I really don’t mean to behave in the way I do. I was in a traffic jam a while ago and late for an appointment by 45 minutes, it took me 2 days to get over that and it still creeps into my head now. 

Children
No Data