How to define meltdown?

I was wondering how you know when you’re having a meltdown vs panic attack vs anxiety attack, etc. 

The only real difference that I understand between panic and anxiety attacks are panic attacks are sudden without a cause and are more intense, while anxiety attacks build up over time? I don’t know how you can rate the intensity unless you have something to compare to and I feel like something could be more intense to one person than another person. I think I’ve had a couple panic attacks in my life (where it was intense enough that it felt like the world was ending) but I’m not sure because those had reasons.

And then I have no basis for difference between meltdown and an attack. 

Parents
  • The best definition of a meltdown is here:

https://www.autism.org.uk/advice-and-guidance/topics/behaviour/meltdowns/all-audiences

Comparing metdowns and panic / anxiety attacks (these are the same thing I understand) is done well here:

https://spectrumconnecttherapy.com/how-to-know-the-difference-between-an-autistic-meltdown-vs-panic-attack/

Talking about the main differences in cause:

it’s important to understand the cause. When someone experiences an autism meltdown, it’s typically due to some kind of sensory overload or overstimulation from external triggers. The dysregulation builds up over time, and eventually, if the person isn’t able to regulate their nervous system, then a meltdown can ensue. A panic attack can come on more suddenly either seemingly out of the blue or as a response to a specific triggering event.

Talking about duration

Autism meltdowns can also last longer than panic attacks. Most panic attacks peak within an average of 20-30 minutes before lessening in severity. Autism meltdowns can go on for several hours without much relief. 

Talking about symptoms

the symptoms are often different. When someone is having a panic attack, they’re likely to experience a racing heart, sweating, and difficulty taking deep breaths. They may feel like they are going to die as a result which can make the panic attack much more frightening. When someone is dealing with an autism meltdown, the common symptoms include screaming, throwing items, self-injurious behaviors, and hitting. Some even try to run away. Others may completely shut down and become non-verbal. 

• The best definition of a meltdown is here:

https://www.autism.org.uk/advice-and-guidance/topics/behaviour/meltdowns/all-audiences

Comparing metdowns and panic / anxiety attacks (these are the same thing I understand) is done well here:

https://spectrumconnecttherapy.com/how-to-know-the-difference-between-an-autistic-meltdown-vs-panic-attack/

Talking about the main differences in cause:

it’s important to understand the cause. When someone experiences an autism meltdown, it’s typically due to some kind of sensory overload or overstimulation from external triggers. The dysregulation builds up over time, and eventually, if the person isn’t able to regulate their nervous system, then a meltdown can ensue. A panic attack can come on more suddenly either seemingly out of the blue or as a response to a specific triggering event.

Talking about duration

Autism meltdowns can also last longer than panic attacks. Most panic attacks peak within an average of 20-30 minutes before lessening in severity. Autism meltdowns can go on for several hours without much relief. 

Talking about symptoms

the symptoms are often different. When someone is having a panic attack, they’re likely to experience a racing heart, sweating, and difficulty taking deep breaths. They may feel like they are going to die as a result which can make the panic attack much more frightening. When someone is dealing with an autism meltdown, the common symptoms include screaming, throwing items, self-injurious behaviors, and hitting. Some even try to run away. Others may completely shut down and become non-verbal. 

Children