How to define meltdown?

I was wondering how you know when you’re having a meltdown vs panic attack vs anxiety attack, etc. 

The only real difference that I understand between panic and anxiety attacks are panic attacks are sudden without a cause and are more intense, while anxiety attacks build up over time? I don’t know how you can rate the intensity unless you have something to compare to and I feel like something could be more intense to one person than another person. I think I’ve had a couple panic attacks in my life (where it was intense enough that it felt like the world was ending) but I’m not sure because those had reasons.

And then I have no basis for difference between meltdown and an attack. 

• its a over emotional stimulation which can make you either break down crying or lash out angrily. lack of emotional control, emotional explosion/reaction. can be caused by rumination of thought going round your head if one triggering thing really ticks you off and gets you upset and your always thinking of it in your head, or your always thinking of how a thing can go bad,

Great way of explaining this. And really helps me identify when I have a meltdown. I was at a small gathering yesterday to watch the football, I don’t drink and don’t particularly like football. I was there with my family. It was a very late night and well past my social limit. I have not been great today, very emotional, crying for little reason and getting angry with myself for making very small mistakes at work. Luckily I work for myself and alone. I have also been skimming through all the conversations I was involved in, coming up with better answers after the event. 
    Panic attacks were such a common thing for me and plagued by it nearly every day of my life. Due to the embarrassment I used to hide it as well. There wasn’t always something specific that triggered this I just think life masking heavily was and is what caused this reaction. I know that now and I’m working very hard to be easier on myself and give myself time to regulate. Like I said I feel so much better mentally now the panic attacks have reduced significantly. Nearly 30 years of suffering and as soon as I start to accept who I am and my situation they are at a manageable level. 

I hope it remains that way 

• Hi FH

I have posted about this before so apologies to anyone who has read this previously. I have suffered panic attacks for the best part of 30 years now. Mine happen for a few reasons, it can be the anticipation of something or from after something when you would normally expect it to be ok and calm. Since my realisation of being Neurodivergent my panic attacks for the first time in a long time have probably reduced by 85%. I honestly feel so much better not having this dark cloud over me almost permanently. My therapist said it is because I am starting to accept myself. 
    Im not sure about anxiety attack but for me I believe it’s when people spring things onto me with no warning or time to prepare. It feels horrible as it completely takes up all the space in my head. 
    I believe (and I’m no expert) that a meltdown to me is very similar to my son’s experience of one. I am very low at this time, grumpy and unable to get out of that moment without it running its course. It makes me feel very childish but I really don’t mean to behave in the way I do. I was in a traffic jam a while ago and late for an appointment by 45 minutes, it took me 2 days to get over that and it still creeps into my head now. 

• Hello ,

I'm sorry to hear that you have been struggling with your son's behaviour and the impact it has had on you as a family. Individuals on the spectrum can often display behaviour that may be challenging. There will generally be a reason for this and it is important to try and understand the trigger for the behaviour when developing strategies. You may like to have a look at the following link for more information on behaviour and strategies: 

https://www.autism.org.uk/advice-and-guidance/topics/behaviour 

You may be interested in seeking some professional support regarding the behaviour. You can search for professionals in your area we are aware of on the Autism Services Directory: 

https://www.autism.org.uk/directory 

You might also like to take a look at The Challenging Behaviour Foundation website for further information and advice: 

https://www.challengingbehaviour.org.uk.  They also have an information and support service which you can contact by phone or email – details can be found here: https://www.challengingbehaviour.org.uk/for-family-carers/family-support-service/ 

Please visit our online advice and guidance which explains more about getting extra help in school, assessments, education plans, reviews and school transport.  

Extra help at school in England  

If you require further support, you may like to contact the following organisations:  

• Every local area has a Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Information Advice and Support Service (SENDIASS) that can provide information, advice and support to parents and carers of children and young people with SEND, including on exclusions.   

• Independent Provider of Special Education Advice (IPSEA) is a registered charity that offers free and independent information, advice and support to help get the right education for children and young people with all kinds of SEND.  

•  Coram’s Child Law Advice service can be accessed through their website or contacted on 0300 330 5485 from Monday to Friday, 8am – 6pm.   

• SOS!SEN offers a free, term-time, national helpline, staffed by a team of volunteers, to provide next step advice and support on questions and issues parents may have relating to their child’s SEN provision.  Their helpline number is 0208 538 3731 

If you need support with an appeal against a decision about a child or young person’s educational needs, your local tribunal administration may also be able to help:  

First-tier Tribunal (special educational needs and disability)in England  

Special Educational Needs Tribunal for Wales    

Special Educational Needs and Disability Tribunal(Northern Ireland)  

First Tier Tribunal for Scotland Health and Education Chamber

All the best,

ChloeMod

• Thank you, that was very helpful

• The best definition of a meltdown is here:

https://www.autism.org.uk/advice-and-guidance/topics/behaviour/meltdowns/all-audiences

Comparing metdowns and panic / anxiety attacks (these are the same thing I understand) is done well here:

https://spectrumconnecttherapy.com/how-to-know-the-difference-between-an-autistic-meltdown-vs-panic-attack/

Talking about the main differences in cause:

it’s important to understand the cause. When someone experiences an autism meltdown, it’s typically due to some kind of sensory overload or overstimulation from external triggers. The dysregulation builds up over time, and eventually, if the person isn’t able to regulate their nervous system, then a meltdown can ensue. A panic attack can come on more suddenly either seemingly out of the blue or as a response to a specific triggering event.

Talking about duration

Autism meltdowns can also last longer than panic attacks. Most panic attacks peak within an average of 20-30 minutes before lessening in severity. Autism meltdowns can go on for several hours without much relief. 

Talking about symptoms

the symptoms are often different. When someone is having a panic attack, they’re likely to experience a racing heart, sweating, and difficulty taking deep breaths. They may feel like they are going to die as a result which can make the panic attack much more frightening. When someone is dealing with an autism meltdown, the common symptoms include screaming, throwing items, self-injurious behaviors, and hitting. Some even try to run away. Others may completely shut down and become non-verbal.