Anew government

Well that was a thumping majority, but I think a wide but shallow one. Reform did less well that exit polls predicted, for which I'm glad, but they have quite a high vote share. THe LibDems had a brilliant night.

A nice collection of Tory scalps for new MP's, Rees Mogg and Truss amoung them.

I stayed up until 3am and then had to go to bed, so I didn't see the big scalps taken, I'm tired today though.

It dosen't feel all unicorns and rainbow, frollicking fauns, and splashing mermaids, but I'm glad we've got some change, but it's a poisoned chalice for Starmer and gang, this country has so many problems in need of fixing. But I hope we have a stable government and not all this continual chopping and changing of PM and other ministers, I think part of the problems have been caused by so many reshuffles, ministers don't have time to get on top of their brief before they're moved on. That means any policy objectives they had are discarded by the successor, so nothing gets done and the rot sets deeper.

Parents
  • your words are true I fear though that in their DNA Labour raise taxes and bankrupt the Country we need a low tax small state economy then you will find everything is high class over taxing stops growth and the state are useless at spending money efficiently.

Although I have issues with Reform on what they say about immigration and I would never vote for them their policy of earn 20k before you pay any tax and an insurance based system for the NHS where the less well of do not pay is a top idea equally P.R. for elections is spot on

• I disagree that Labour will always raise taxes and bankrupt the country, what did for Gordon Brown and the state of economy was the financial crisis that started in America and spread around the world. I remember other world leaders coming to Brown for advice on how to fix things.

Obviously covid and the war in Ukraine were things beyond anyones control and have left us in a financial mess, we will need to pay tax in order to pay back the money used to for furlough and to cushion energy prices.

i don't want a small state and low tax, I want a state that looks after its people, for to long we've been led to believe we can have champagne services on a beer budget and the state of things now is the result.

I would hate to see Reform becoming a bigger force in politics, they're racist, homophobic and misogynistic. They would really like to do away with the NHS altogether and would probably do away with all sort of public services. How do you think it would effect people like us, who use public services probably more than others?

Corbyn isn't in the labour party and I doubt if they'd let him back in anyway, let alone be leader/PM, he had his chance and lost it. No doubt Starmer will facce challenges with his back benchers, it's how he deals with those challenges that will make or break his leadership, but as he's only been in the job 24 hours I think it's a bit premature to be writing him off already.

Like many other countries around the world we have an aging population, we need a level of immigration to fill the jobs we have, where would the care sector be without migrants, or the NHS? We also need to train and retrain our own people and not allow companies to just bring in more people to fill roles at lower wages. All that does is suppress wage growth and increase the tax avoiding global corporate entities avenues for exploitation. Japan has an aging population, a stagnant economy, low migration and elderly people dying and not being found for days or weeks, is that what we want for ourselves?

• I am afraid all I will say is I take the view I want to maximise the tax take.This did one by having a sensible level of tax that encourages people to want to earn money and invest.if you over tax and go after the rich it does not work.I had a lot of time for Blair and mandelson who said they were comfortable people getting filthy rich.I liked Brown on the bank rescue and I like him as a person however he was responsible for complicating welfare and stealth taxes  and giving away Gold.

New Labour fine and the jury for me is out on Starmer but if he starts discouraging non does and just taxing the rich ti look match it is counterproductive.So that is why I am in favour or  small state and lower taxes it leads to everyone being better off

• I am afraid all I will say is I take the view I want to maximise the tax take.This did one by having a sensible level of tax that encourages people to want to earn money and invest.if you over tax and go after the rich it does not work.I had a lot of time for Blair and mandelson who said they were comfortable people getting filthy rich.I liked Brown on the bank rescue and I like him as a person however he was responsible for complicating welfare and stealth taxes  and giving away Gold.

New Labour fine and the jury for me is out on Starmer but if he starts discouraging non does and just taxing the rich ti look match it is counterproductive.So that is why I am in favour or  small state and lower taxes it leads to everyone being better off

Children
No Data