Daughter with ASD says she can NOT sing

Daughter with ASD says she can not sing - not that she is bad at it, that when she tries no noise comes out. Unfortunately as part of her Drama A Level, she needs to be able to for the Audition component. For every other element she is on track to getting a Distinction - should we be asking for an exemption?

Parents
  • I can't sing. I can't vary my tone of voice, I can only talk - the act of singing is something I don't seem to be able to do. I can make a sound come out, but it's just talking, not singing notes or music. When trying to sing I could talk louder or shout, but I can't actually sing. I don't know how to make my voice do that and I'm too focused on what's being said (i.e. the words and their meaning), I can't pay attention to and combine the inputs from my ears and make my voice change accordingly.

When I had music grading, for some reason part of it was singing instead of playing the instrument I learnt. I failed that part completely, which limited the grade I could get.

• I can't sing. I can't vary my tone of voice, I can only talk - the act of singing is something I don't seem to be able to do. I can make a sound come out, but it's just talking, not singing notes or music. When trying to sing I could talk louder or shout, but I can't actually sing. I don't know how to make my voice do that and I'm too focused on what's being said (i.e. the words and their meaning), I can't pay attention to and combine the inputs from my ears and make my voice change accordingly.

When I had music grading, for some reason part of it was singing instead of playing the instrument I learnt. I failed that part completely, which limited the grade I could get.

Children
No Data