Help understanding diagnosis report

Hi I received the report for my sons ASD assessment and I’m struggling to understand the scores given in the assessments carried out is anyone able to point me in the direction of finding out what they mean in severity? 

Parents
  • It is worth noting that this level (1-3) is used as more of a summary of your state. 1 indicates you don't need much support at all while 2 and 3 are progressively more support requiring.

Iain, with the greatest of respect - and whilst I appreciate that you have only learned about the current diagnostic terms very recently (per our discussion here) - I would urge you not to downplay / understate / risk invalidating the support needs of those with ASD Level 1 by stating that they "don't need much support at all".

Whilst their needs are lower, in relative terms, than the other two levels, they are still very real and of great importance to those with a L1 diagnosis.

The actual definitions are:

• Level 1 autism: “Requiring support”
    • Level 2 autism: “Requiring substantial support”
    • Level 3 autism: “Requiring very substantial support”
  • It is worth noting that this level (1-3) is used as more of a summary of your state. 1 indicates you don't need much support at all while 2 and 3 are progressively more support requiring.

Iain, with the greatest of respect - and whilst I appreciate that you have only learned about the current diagnostic terms very recently (per our discussion here) - I would urge you not to downplay / understate / risk invalidating the support needs of those with ASD Level 1 by stating that they "don't need much support at all".

Whilst their needs are lower, in relative terms, than the other two levels, they are still very real and of great importance to those with a L1 diagnosis.

The actual definitions are:

• Level 1 autism: “Requiring support”
    • Level 2 autism: “Requiring substantial support”
    • Level 3 autism: “Requiring very substantial support”
Children
  • Whilst their needs are lower, in relative terms, than the other two levels, they are still very real and of great importance to those with a L1 diagnosis.

Perhaps I come at this from a Gen-X perspective where there was a much greater need for self reliance growing up, regardless of any additional stressers such as autism, ADHD etc.

Most people who qualify as level 1 had been able to survive their lives up until now without specific support for their autism which is why I said they dont NEED it.

They would have benefitted from it certainly, but the vast majority can lead something resembling a normal life even if with some limitations.

If they were unable to hold a job, go out in public etc then I suspect they would be in level 2 where support is clearly needed, hence the reason for this level.

I don't deny that level 1 people do not suffer - I have had plenty of experiences in life where my autism has caused me pain, limitations and complications but I have worked on finding ways to deal with this or accept it rather than expecting outside support.