Mentoring advice

Hi everyone, 

I'm autistic and a current undergraduate student at a UK university. I'm leading a volunteering project in affiliation with my university called 'Autism Mentoring'. The project involves going into local secondary schools and mentoring autistic students from those schools about things like higher education, careers/job thoughts, study skills, and general autism stuff. 

I'm trying to develop the project and would really appreciate anyone's thoughts. Specifically, what sorts of resources shall I include and/or create for the mentors to use with their mentee? Do you have any advice on how the sessions could be delivered, how often, how long for? What age group do you think would be best to focus on? And if you have any other thoughts then I'd love to hear them.

I hope this post is allowed, but of course, admin please delete if not.

Thank you everyone!

Parents
  • Oh and on careers, this is much better handled one-on-one as you need to build up a picture of what they like (especially special interests), what they are intolerant of and what could work based on their location and other needs.

I've got a whole autists getting a career document that I use to point them in the right direction - I tend to use if just for reference but can flesh it out to pass on if you need it - see if the program have their own version first as this would be what they want you to use.

I think you are fine - there is no personal info or  solicitations to do anything, just a request for advice which is OK.

• Oh and on careers, this is much better handled one-on-one as you need to build up a picture of what they like (especially special interests), what they are intolerant of and what could work based on their location and other needs.

I've got a whole autists getting a career document that I use to point them in the right direction - I tend to use if just for reference but can flesh it out to pass on if you need it - see if the program have their own version first as this would be what they want you to use.

I think you are fine - there is no personal info or  solicitations to do anything, just a request for advice which is OK.

Children
No Data