Mentoring advice

Hi everyone, 

I'm autistic and a current undergraduate student at a UK university. I'm leading a volunteering project in affiliation with my university called 'Autism Mentoring'. The project involves going into local secondary schools and mentoring autistic students from those schools about things like higher education, careers/job thoughts, study skills, and general autism stuff. 

I'm trying to develop the project and would really appreciate anyone's thoughts. Specifically, what sorts of resources shall I include and/or create for the mentors to use with their mentee? Do you have any advice on how the sessions could be delivered, how often, how long for? What age group do you think would be best to focus on? And if you have any other thoughts then I'd love to hear them.

I hope this post is allowed, but of course, admin please delete if not.

Thank you everyone!

Parents
  • It would be useful to summarise what experience and abilities you have to offer as this will inform you what are areas you actually know enough to offer advice on.

Next I would book some time with the uni to work with them through their requirements and see where there is a match with your knowledge / skills. There will be grey areas that you need to go and read up on / ask others about to give a more complete understanding of your field.

Make sure you understand what the group is offering - this can be very specific and you need to know what is acceptable to cover and what isn't. For example you will inevitably get questions on relationships, sex and substance abuse and these are minefields where you may want to offer solid practical advice, but the program may have a position where this is considered inappropriate.

Now you should have a much clearer idea what you will be covering - time to go and fill in the new gaps you discover.

Then when you get to the schools you need to speak to the people in charge of running the program and get their direction too - there may be times when the group and the school have a communication mismatch and the school will always have the final say.

Now you may actually get to see the students.

Following introducing yourself and getting their names, give them an overview of what you are going to be doing with them. Ask them what they want covered and if there any areas you have been told to avoid then tell the students to speak to the teachers in charge as it is not your position to cover it.

I expect you will have a small group (after all autists are only 1-3% of the population) so it should be a fairly cosy session. Just make sure to ask for any triggers from the students before you start. Chalk on blackboards, smelly market pens on whiteboards, bright screens etc can all be triggers and should be avoided if asked for.

Now getting to the good stuff.

Lay out your agenda - what will be covered on what dates. Ask them for areas they want to know more on and prepare additional material for that if needed. Don't be put off if any of them just say "whatever" and don't engage - make the sessions work for those who want it.

I cover students between 16 and 18 who are loading school to go into the wider world, whether further education or work (or staying at home in some cases) - I do this in Brazil so the material won't be of much use but I try to cover:

1 - you will feel more isolated when your friends move on. This is normal so make sure you have a support mechanism in place to help you through it. I offer an "alumni" type service where I meet up with older students in a quiet coffee shop on agreed dates so they can give feedback and I can give a little extra support.

2 - Going to work is likely to be tough. It is the same for everybody but autists have an extra hard time. I offer advice on how to communicate this with employers, how to find ways to manage anxiety and communicate when they feel meltdowns coming. Finding employers can be really tough so I offer a meeting with any prospective employer to help them understand the risks are low if engaged with properly and they can actually get a lot out of an autist if they understand their abilities better.

A brief talk on the way salaries, taxes, holidays, training, promotions and all the other work shizzle works if mostly in printed format (for later reference) but I take questions on it too so they can be confident in their understanding of it).

3 - I talk about practicalities such as personal hygine, clean clothes and dressing appropriately for work - sounds simple but a lot find this is never explained to them.

4 - With further education there are limited support opions available here and the charity I help will put the students in contact with their counterparts in universities if ther exist.

My part here is to explain about how the transition from structured high school to much less structured uni can be a challenge - self motivation needs a bunch of tools and often support too. Explaining what they will face and giving them a few tools to manage the worst of it helps them build confidence in the unknown that I wish I had when I was off to uni.

5 - Driving in my city (Sao Paulo) is a nightmare even for an experienced driver so I tend to advise the students to avoid this unless they really need it, and then get them an autism friendly instructor. Networking really helps to find these.

There is a lot more we can cover but this takes up most of the time and I offer the coffee shop meetups outside to give an extra half day once a month. It helps they do great cake there so it keeps me motivated. It also provides an outside venue for the questions I cannot answer in class.

Let me know if you have any more questions once you have spoken to the program co-ordinator and I'll do my best to answer them.

• It would be useful to summarise what experience and abilities you have to offer as this will inform you what are areas you actually know enough to offer advice on.

Next I would book some time with the uni to work with them through their requirements and see where there is a match with your knowledge / skills. There will be grey areas that you need to go and read up on / ask others about to give a more complete understanding of your field.

Make sure you understand what the group is offering - this can be very specific and you need to know what is acceptable to cover and what isn't. For example you will inevitably get questions on relationships, sex and substance abuse and these are minefields where you may want to offer solid practical advice, but the program may have a position where this is considered inappropriate.

Now you should have a much clearer idea what you will be covering - time to go and fill in the new gaps you discover.

Then when you get to the schools you need to speak to the people in charge of running the program and get their direction too - there may be times when the group and the school have a communication mismatch and the school will always have the final say.

Now you may actually get to see the students.

Following introducing yourself and getting their names, give them an overview of what you are going to be doing with them. Ask them what they want covered and if there any areas you have been told to avoid then tell the students to speak to the teachers in charge as it is not your position to cover it.

I expect you will have a small group (after all autists are only 1-3% of the population) so it should be a fairly cosy session. Just make sure to ask for any triggers from the students before you start. Chalk on blackboards, smelly market pens on whiteboards, bright screens etc can all be triggers and should be avoided if asked for.

Now getting to the good stuff.

Lay out your agenda - what will be covered on what dates. Ask them for areas they want to know more on and prepare additional material for that if needed. Don't be put off if any of them just say "whatever" and don't engage - make the sessions work for those who want it.

I cover students between 16 and 18 who are loading school to go into the wider world, whether further education or work (or staying at home in some cases) - I do this in Brazil so the material won't be of much use but I try to cover:

1 - you will feel more isolated when your friends move on. This is normal so make sure you have a support mechanism in place to help you through it. I offer an "alumni" type service where I meet up with older students in a quiet coffee shop on agreed dates so they can give feedback and I can give a little extra support.

2 - Going to work is likely to be tough. It is the same for everybody but autists have an extra hard time. I offer advice on how to communicate this with employers, how to find ways to manage anxiety and communicate when they feel meltdowns coming. Finding employers can be really tough so I offer a meeting with any prospective employer to help them understand the risks are low if engaged with properly and they can actually get a lot out of an autist if they understand their abilities better.

A brief talk on the way salaries, taxes, holidays, training, promotions and all the other work shizzle works if mostly in printed format (for later reference) but I take questions on it too so they can be confident in their understanding of it).

3 - I talk about practicalities such as personal hygine, clean clothes and dressing appropriately for work - sounds simple but a lot find this is never explained to them.

4 - With further education there are limited support opions available here and the charity I help will put the students in contact with their counterparts in universities if ther exist.

My part here is to explain about how the transition from structured high school to much less structured uni can be a challenge - self motivation needs a bunch of tools and often support too. Explaining what they will face and giving them a few tools to manage the worst of it helps them build confidence in the unknown that I wish I had when I was off to uni.

5 - Driving in my city (Sao Paulo) is a nightmare even for an experienced driver so I tend to advise the students to avoid this unless they really need it, and then get them an autism friendly instructor. Networking really helps to find these.

There is a lot more we can cover but this takes up most of the time and I offer the coffee shop meetups outside to give an extra half day once a month. It helps they do great cake there so it keeps me motivated. It also provides an outside venue for the questions I cannot answer in class.

Let me know if you have any more questions once you have spoken to the program co-ordinator and I'll do my best to answer them.

Children
No Data