Meditation

Hi,

For a long time now I’ve been trying meditation to try to lower my anxiety and deal with the effects of ptsd, and also to improve my well being overall. However I have got to the point where I’m beginning to wonder if it can actually help me. I struggle so much to focus and to get my mind to calm and settle. I’m wondering if meditation is particularly difficult for autistic people.

Has anyone on here had much success with meditation? And if so - what kind of meditation practice did you use? I’d really appreciate some advice on this. Part of me feels that I might as well give up with it because all that’s happening now is that I feel like a failure for not benefiting from something that so many other people say is so wonderful. 

Parents
  • If you are unfit in the gym, you probably need to work harder to get fit, and then it is about maintaining. Then you can start lifting heavier weights and climb the stails without getting out of puff. If you have an overactive brain, the same probably applies in order to get a "fitter" brain. My experience is baseline levels need to be on the side of reasonable to begin with. ie you can't go to the gym if you have a broken leg. I found meditation difficult when in stages of high anxiety or whatever the hell it was.  I am not explaining myself well as its the middle of the night. I have sent you a PM. 

• I realise this might come across as "well just try harder!" but this is not my intention. It isnt about success or failure snd different things work for different people. 

Reply Children
  • It doesn’t come across that way - don’t worry! I appreciate your suggestions - they are helpful and really interesting. I think in a way that I’ve been ‘trying too hard’ - that’s part of the problem probably! I’m one of those people that always ‘tries really hard’ at things - and it’s not always a good thing! I think meditation involves ‘letting things go’ - and I struggle with that unfortunately. I’m always ‘trying’ to feel better - that’s part of the problem I’m sure!