Autism and gender dysphoria

I am a parent of a 17 year old who is experiencing gender dysphoria. I will support my child no matter what or how they decide to live their life but I would like to give them the opportunity to talk to someone who has experience in this field. They agree this would be helpful to them. Does anyone have recommendations for a therapist/psychologist/psychotherapist who has experience with this subject? We live in the North London area and would prefer face to face but could do virtual sessions if someone comes highly recommended. 

Parents
  • Hi, I can't recommend anyone in particular because I don't live in your area but, if there is a Pride organisation or LGBTQ+ support group in your area, they might offer conselling or they might be able to recommend someone who is experienced in this area. Alternatively you could ask your GP for a recommendation. I'm gender questioning / non binary and my only concern with counselling is the number of times people have tried to convince me that I'm not trans, it's just because of past trauma and I can be fixed and made to be happy with my birth gender which has been hurtful if I'm honest. With the right counsellor, your child should feel supported to explore their feelings and maybe make an informed decision on their gender - it's also OK to remain "gender questioning" for as long as needed and there isn't always a need to decide on a label if that doesn't feel right for them. Good luck and I hope someone else can give you a better suggestion!

• Hi, I can't recommend anyone in particular because I don't live in your area but, if there is a Pride organisation or LGBTQ+ support group in your area, they might offer conselling or they might be able to recommend someone who is experienced in this area. Alternatively you could ask your GP for a recommendation. I'm gender questioning / non binary and my only concern with counselling is the number of times people have tried to convince me that I'm not trans, it's just because of past trauma and I can be fixed and made to be happy with my birth gender which has been hurtful if I'm honest. With the right counsellor, your child should feel supported to explore their feelings and maybe make an informed decision on their gender - it's also OK to remain "gender questioning" for as long as needed and there isn't always a need to decide on a label if that doesn't feel right for them. Good luck and I hope someone else can give you a better suggestion!

Children
  • Thank you for this. I think gender questioning is a good term to use. I am not looking for anyone to 'fix' my child but they seem unable to explain why they feel more female and do not want to fully transition just wear female clothing. I think they need help in understanding how they are feeling so they can be confident in their decision. Your comments have definitely given me things to think about so thank you.