Is Sheldon Cooper Autistic or Is it Being Projected Onto the Character?

I found this debate on a subreddit for The Big Bang Theory (link here: https://www.reddit.com/r/bigbangtheory/comments/tgj452/sheldon_is_on_the_autism_spectrum_why_does/) and it seems to be a bit of a stand off about whether Sheldon Cooper is or isn’t Autistic because of how the show’s creators have said that he isn’t and because he’s a fictional character that people are projecting Autism onto Sheldon and we shouldn’t because we’re not psychiatrist and so on. I personally think Sheldon was unintentionally portrayed as Autistic and having stereotypical traits for laughs. I have always felt Sheldon is a very bad representation of Autism because of the stereotyping and due to the fact it is a comedy show that it hurts Autistic people and makes people even more unlikely to take how serious the disorder actually is. So what does everyone here think?

Parents
  • The writers declined to give it a label. If they'd officially called it autism, it would have been a lot more difficult to use it as a comedic device. Best case scenario, they catch flack for not portraying it accurately. Worst case, it'd have been considered wildly offensive by many and probably got the series axed of the get go. 

I would say he's definitely got OCD and highly likely on the spectrum. I saw a lot of myself in his ways and actions, the things that excited him and the things that bothered him.

• The writers declined to give it a label. If they'd officially called it autism, it would have been a lot more difficult to use it as a comedic device. Best case scenario, they catch flack for not portraying it accurately. Worst case, it'd have been considered wildly offensive by many and probably got the series axed of the get go. 

I would say he's definitely got OCD and highly likely on the spectrum. I saw a lot of myself in his ways and actions, the things that excited him and the things that bothered him.

Children
No Data