Rebel with to many causes

I've always been a bit of a rebel, I don't think it's just about being autistic, but it helps, I was brought up in quite a political family, not party political, but just interested, social injustice infuriates me. I've been involved with so many causes over the years, the womens movement, anti-nukes, animal rights, anti apartied. Now I find that every cause is on social media which I can't do, nor can I go out on the streets protesting like I used too.

I still have the urge to be involved there are so many things worth fighting for, the planet being the biggest one, is anyone else involved in activism?

Parents
  • I would love to at some point get involved in advocacy for our autistic community, but maybe it’s just me who thinks that activism is different in that it is political?

• I would love to at some point get involved in advocacy for our autistic community, but maybe it’s just me who thinks that activism is different in that it is political?

Tricky one this. What would you advocate for specifically? It wouldn't be fair to advocate just for autists so you would need to do it for the whole neurodivergent umbrella and we are a mess of contradictory needs that you will never find one specific thing to fight for.

The majority of us are not suited to protesting in public and plenty don't like to make a fuss because of any potential conflict situations that may arise.

Add to that the push back I'm sensing from the media now and we are going to have a hard time agreeing on something then fighting for it.

The media is starting to make more noise about how many people are being diagnosed now with autism and how much of a strain we are placing on the NHS - almost victim shaming as there is little physically to identify us and a huge range of issues we are asking for help with that are often contrary to one another.

From my experience of causes, we are going to have a hell of a hard time making a case never mind winning concessions.

• Tricky one this. What would you advocate for specifically? It wouldn't be fair to advocate just for autists so you would need to do it for the whole neurodivergent umbrella and we are a mess of contradictory needs that you will never find one specific thing to fight for.

Mainly for the acceptance of autistic and other neurodivergent ways of being using the neurodiversity paradigm.

I understand what you mean about needing to advocate for all neurodivergent people instead though as after all many of the neuro normative standards that actively harm our community specifically, harm all neurodivergent people (and to some extent neurotypical people as they often won’t question the status quo). But to actually advocate for all members of the neurodivergent community would actually be very complex and difficult as there are some many neurotypes to consider and understand that there would often be conflicting views.

So in reality it would be best for me to focus on our autistic community as that is where my main passion, knowledge and lived experience lies. I would love to spread my passion about autistic culture, community and joy including the importance of developing a positive autistic identity as that has been fundamental for me personally.

Thanks for raising this point, it is thought provoking!

The media is starting to make more noise about how many people are being diagnosed now with autism and how much of a strain we are placing on the NHS - almost victim shaming as there is little physically to identify us and a huge range of issues we are asking for help with that are often contrary to one another.

Yes I understand that about victim shaming, media representation of us has never been particularly good or accurate. Identification of our autistic neurology is so important though and often hugely beneficial for many reasons including the fact that it can save lives!

• Tricky one this. What would you advocate for specifically? It wouldn't be fair to advocate just for autists so you would need to do it for the whole neurodivergent umbrella and we are a mess of contradictory needs that you will never find one specific thing to fight for.

Mainly for the acceptance of autistic and other neurodivergent ways of being using the neurodiversity paradigm.

I understand what you mean about needing to advocate for all neurodivergent people instead though as after all many of the neuro normative standards that actively harm our community specifically, harm all neurodivergent people (and to some extent neurotypical people as they often won’t question the status quo). But to actually advocate for all members of the neurodivergent community would actually be very complex and difficult as there are some many neurotypes to consider and understand that there would often be conflicting views.

So in reality it would be best for me to focus on our autistic community as that is where my main passion, knowledge and lived experience lies. I would love to spread my passion about autistic culture, community and joy including the importance of developing a positive autistic identity as that has been fundamental for me personally.

Thanks for raising this point, it is thought provoking!

Yes I understand that about victim shaming, media representation of us has never been particularly good or accurate. Identification of our autistic neurology is so important though and often hugely beneficial for many reasons including the fact that it can save lives!

Children
No Data