the Eclipse begins!!! link to see it all on NASA link

And so it begins. pictures, thoughts, observations?

https://science.nasa.gov/eclipses/future-eclipses/eclipse-2024/live/

Parents
  • I was lucky enough to see a total eclipse of the sun on the south coast of England in 1999.  I went to a very high clifftop overlooking the English Channel in Devon. The place was crowded, but unfortunately it was rather cloudy. However, at the appointed time the clouds rolled back and we saw the whole unforgettable spectacle.  It was utterly amazing; the crowds were whooping at first and then stunned into silence. The moon gradually covered the sun, the temperature dropped and the birds stopped singing. As it ended and the daylight returned, we could see the moon's shadow racing out to sea in the direction of France as the predominantly British crowd gave the whole spectacle a very polite, slightly restrained round of applause.

Ben

• the predominantly British crowd gave the whole spectacle a very polite, slightly restrained round of applause.

I love that.

I remember watching a Battle of Waterloo celebration on Southsea beach with thousands of others and suddenly and unexpectedly, as is usual here, we had a torrential downpour and everyone got soaked.

The chap in front of me turned around and said 'turned out nice again'.

It was such a British joke.

I saw that too, but I don't think it was so good in Hampshire.

• Debbie, the total eclipse was only visable from Devon and Cornwall, where most places, disappointingly,  stayed cloudy all day. I was lucky, I just picked the right place to view it.

Ben

Reply Children
No Data