Newly diagnosed, who do I tell

I’ve just found out today I’m autistic,

I’m a 40 year old male and I don’t know who to tell other than my wife and children. 
do I keep this to myself or let the world know

Parents
  • My advice would be, don't rush into telling too many people straight away. You might be sort of exhilerated and want to shout it out to the world - but you can't take it back again once you have told them. It will make you very vulnerable and there is a risk of oversharing. Some advice that I found helfpul was "you don't owe an explanation to anyone".

Some situations where I think it is good to tell people are a) if the topic comes up naturally in conversation and it feels safe, or b) if I know that they are going to be around me in a difficult situation/situations, and I think that they can understand or support me better if they know, c) they are your boss or supervisor.

• My advice would be, don't rush into telling too many people straight away. You might be sort of exhilerated and want to shout it out to the world - but you can't take it back again once you have told them. It will make you very vulnerable and there is a risk of oversharing. Some advice that I found helfpul was "you don't owe an explanation to anyone".

Some situations where I think it is good to tell people are a) if the topic comes up naturally in conversation and it feels safe, or b) if I know that they are going to be around me in a difficult situation/situations, and I think that they can understand or support me better if they know, c) they are your boss or supervisor.

Children
No Data