Newly diagnosed, who do I tell

I’ve just found out today I’m autistic,

I’m a 40 year old male and I don’t know who to tell other than my wife and children. 
do I keep this to myself or let the world know

Parents
  • It's totally your choice who you tell, and there isn't a right answer; it's just whatever you want to do. And it's OK to choose not to tell anyone else and then decide later on that you want to tell other people.

Personally, I told anyone who would listen. The first person I told was the lady on CAMHS reception as I was leaving after hearing that I was autistic. I found it such a relief to know the reason why I have never fit in that I wanted the world to know. Now, I tell people if it comes up in conversation but it isn't the first thing I say to someone but it's not something I hide as it's a big part of me. However I know of other people who don't tell anyone and that's totally OK too. 

Alisha xx

P.S. Congrats on the diagnosis, hope you didn't have to wait too long

• It's totally your choice who you tell, and there isn't a right answer; it's just whatever you want to do. And it's OK to choose not to tell anyone else and then decide later on that you want to tell other people.

Personally, I told anyone who would listen. The first person I told was the lady on CAMHS reception as I was leaving after hearing that I was autistic. I found it such a relief to know the reason why I have never fit in that I wanted the world to know. Now, I tell people if it comes up in conversation but it isn't the first thing I say to someone but it's not something I hide as it's a big part of me. However I know of other people who don't tell anyone and that's totally OK too. 

Alisha xx

P.S. Congrats on the diagnosis, hope you didn't have to wait too long

Children