Trainspotting & other special interests

Choose life. Choose parodies. Choose to make a YouTube video about special interests and why they’re important.[edited by moderator]

I used to think that having a set of intense interests was universal, but apparently not. In the past couple of years, I’ve realised that such interests are especially important for autistic people. Why wouldn’t you want to spend time doing, and thinking about, things you enjoy? But I think having special interests goes beyond mere hedonism – they can be vital for survival in a world not designed for us.

What are your special interests?

Parents
  • As far as my autism goes they're my worst "symptom "Ive had a few over the years , most recent were mountain biking, guitar playing and fishing. Currently I'm doing none of these as they all become unbearable obsessions.

I spend all my time thinking about them, planning them, buying things, researching and worse of all in terms of impact to my family is doing them and talking about them.

Get dangerous with work too, if I go at lunchtime for example I'll get so consumed I can't leave to come home. While working I'll get distracted and be off focused on them.

I'll also go do these things when I really don't want to, I just feel I must so I pretty much kidnap myself and go.

Then sometimes I drop them like a stone as if I were never interested.

I'm planning on working on this and finding a way to have spins without them going obsessive.

Please tell me someone else has had this issue, even just one, so it isn't just me :)

• As far as my autism goes they're my worst "symptom "Ive had a few over the years , most recent were mountain biking, guitar playing and fishing. Currently I'm doing none of these as they all become unbearable obsessions.

I spend all my time thinking about them, planning them, buying things, researching and worse of all in terms of impact to my family is doing them and talking about them.

Get dangerous with work too, if I go at lunchtime for example I'll get so consumed I can't leave to come home. While working I'll get distracted and be off focused on them.

I'll also go do these things when I really don't want to, I just feel I must so I pretty much kidnap myself and go.

Then sometimes I drop them like a stone as if I were never interested.

I'm planning on working on this and finding a way to have spins without them going obsessive.

Please tell me someone else has had this issue, even just one, so it isn't just me :)

Children