Do you hate having ASD and wish you were neurotypical ?

Since realising that I am ‘on the spectrum, (having been assessed and diagnosed) which of course explains and gives reason for my behaviour and way of thinking, nonetheless, I’ve come to bitterly regret being this way - to the extent of feeling cursed. Does anybody else feel this way and would you - as I do - take a safe cure for it, if there was one? I’d hate to think I was alone in this regard.

Parents
  • No. I would like to be less anxious and have a better insight into the motivations of others, but having all my autistic traits removed - including the beneficial ones - does not appeal to me. It would change who I was in a fundamental way, and, as I am now, I think that I am one of the good guys.

• It's easy for you to say that: you work in academia and you are free to "be yourself" as much as you want. Try that in a private job, you won't last a day.

• I'm retired now. Before getting a job in academia I worked in two civil service jobs over two years (clerical assistant, then clerical officer grade). I can't say I enjoyed them very much, but I coped.

• No security guards as such in my day, Sonny Jim.

• You’re right that wouldn’t happen nowadays. If it was nowadays he wouldn’t have rolled you a cigarette he probably would have rolled you a joint instead. That seems to be the new thing nowadays lol. But sorry that happened to you, violence is never an acceptable way to behave in my opinion. 

• wow!

but

licorice cigarette.

wow!

• his was at the height of the Thatcherite cuts in the early to mid 1980s,

That was a bit before my time, grandpa. When I was there, I had the bank-style counters and flimsy chairs. Plus, there were always security guards stationed in the entrance. They ALWAYS arrived late, I wonder why.

• Your scepticism does not trump my firsthand knowledge. When I started, the 'signing on' counters were open, before I finished they had bank-style plate glass partitioning.

I remember that happening in my local 'dole office'.

I was signing on 1980/81 (for the 1st time).

This was at the height of the Thatcherite cuts in the early to mid 1980s, there were a lot of frustrated and angry people - try listening to 'Ghost Town' by the Specials, it will give you some idea of how many people felt at the time.

I saw the Specials live singing that at the time.

Yes, people were angry and I wouldn't have liked to have been at the frontline as you were - I was on the other side in the queue.

My song of the time was UB40's 'one in ten'.

I loved that album which was stolen for me by a 'sort of' boyfriend.

I ceased saying I liked things in shops because he'd always turn up with it after, having stolen the item Blush

• Your scepticism does not trump my firsthand knowledge. When I started, the 'signing on' counters were open, before I finished they had bank-style plate glass partitioning.

I remember that happening in my local 'dole office'.

I was signing on 1980/81 (for the 1st time).

This was at the height of the Thatcherite cuts in the early to mid 1980s, there were a lot of frustrated and angry people - try listening to 'Ghost Town' by the Specials, it will give you some idea of how many people felt at the time.

I saw the Specials live singing that at the time.

Yes, people were angry and I wouldn't have liked to have been at the frontline as you were - I was on the other side in the queue.

My song of the time was UB40's 'one in ten'.

I loved that album which was stolen for me by a 'sort of' boyfriend.

I ceased saying I liked things in shops because he'd always turn up with it after, having stolen the item Blush

Children
No Data