What is the right thing to do?

Helloo,

Sorry to bother people with this, but I was just wondering if anybody is able to help at all here please. 

If I'm using sensory aids, whether ear defenders, sunglasses outdoor/indoor, or any other support that helps to keep me calm, is it wrong for someone to ask that I don't do it / comment on it because it makes them uncomfortable? Or should I be compromising so that they feel they're heard /that there needs are met? So much attention was drawn to me wearing sunglasses indoors to help myself and although I wouldn't usually, I've messaged the person to say how it made me feel, whilst still reminding them I love them and they have seen the message from days ago and not replied. I don't know if it's years of the false 'I'm too much' message that has made this hurt so much, or because I thought I was in a safe space, but I cannot seem to rationalise anything in my mind/ really understand. 

Thank you in advance and sending light to you all Two heartsPurple heart

Parents
  • hello in response to what you’ve said here I am going to say it is wrong for that person to complain about you or draw attention to your sensory needs. that is an accommodation, something that helps you navigate every day life easier. you have a disability and that is why you need to use those sensory aids, it would be like telling a wheelchair user that they are distracting you because of them using a wheelchair, it’s just something that shouldn’t be said.

overall, that was not a fair thing for the other person to do and if they wouldn’t treat another disabled person like that, then they shouldn’t treat you like that or anyone else in general.

• Thank you for your reply. This such a good way of looking at it. I hadn't thought of it in that way and it makes so much sense Blush

Reply Children
No Data