If diagnosed, do you regret it?

I was talking to someone the other day as they haven't sought after a diagnosis for ASD as they didn't want to regret it later (as they thought an official diagnosis could limit their opportunities after university), and it got me thinking. I did not consider any of the potential issues after getting an official diagnosis, I just wanted some answers. Unlike them, I have had various mental health issues, and I've tried therapy many times to no avail. Obviously some mental health issues can be co-morbid of ASD and with how I am socially it should have been investigated when I was much younger. It wasn't until I was in my early 20's, fed up of wondering why therapy didn't seem to work for me but wanted to be "normal" I started to consider that I may be autistic. So I went after a diagnosis, which has allowed me to give up notion that one day I can be "normal" if I try hard enough, and I am okay with being different now (after getting over post diagnosis grief). So for me the diagnosis was worth potentially limiting my opportunities (even though I'm 99% sure it won't as my interests and ambitions are not effected as far as I know).

I was wondering what everyone else's experiences or opinions on the matter are?

Parents
  • I dont regret my diagnosis. Although my wife (who works in SEN in a school), has told me for years i am autistic. I used to think she was joking and just thought i was 'quirky' or selfish. 

When i had a complete meltdown and couldnt work or drive i spoke to her and she told me she was never joking. I just wouldnt hear it. I sought my diagnosis and things now seem so obvious i couldnt believe i hadnt realised sooner. 

I sometimes get the 'i told you so', but apart from that its all good. 

I also get told i cant use it as an excuse, even though i dont feel like i do. So perhaps others sometimes feel that post diagnosis we should be able to moderate our autistic behaviours better than is possible. That is the only negative to my diagnosis. Sometimes i feel like shouting 'Just because i know doesnt mean im fixed!!!!!' 

• I don't regret it at all, I am proud to be autistic! Being autistic can be hard but there are so many positives to it, to me its like a superpower! Slight smile

I have also realised that most of the negatives of autism are not actually down to the autism itself, but caused by how poeple react to us and treat us. 

• I don't regret it at all, I am proud to be autistic!

Wonderfully positive to read! I am very proud to be autistic as well. And proud to be a part of this group.

• Wonderfully positive to read! I am very proud to be autistic as well. And proud to be a part of this group.

So glad you are proudly autistic too! For your information, Autistic Pride Day is on June 18th.

Reply Children
No Data