What's your superpower?

Partly because I'm trying to cheer myself up, partly because we need a bit of positivity in life and also because I'd like to get to know you all a bit better, what is your autistic superpower? I prefer to think of the positives that being autistic brings rather than dwell on the things I struggle with and I like to think of my strengths as "superpowers".

Mine are empathy (sometimes my heart can feel like it's going to break or explode!) and spotting details / patterns, particularly in numbers and equations. I also think I see more details in nature than my neurotypical friends (nature is my "special interest") and I get far more joy and excitement from nature than most people do. What are yours?

(Just I case it's confused anyone, I've changed my username, I hope that's OK?)

Parents
  • Hello everyone 

My superpower is empathy also, I didn’t always look at this as a positive thing but now I do. I have the ability to feel what others feel and can be quite overwhelming tbh. That said I think it is a gift these days. I try my best to control feeling too empathetic by avoiding certain things but I do love how connected it can make me feel.

• This interests me (because I believe I share the same blessing/curse of having a strong empathetic connection with other souls.)  I believe I have always had this blessing/curse.  In recent times, I have felt it to be a distinct curse.........what I am receiving from my (perceived) empathetic connections SCARES THE LIVING CARP OUT OF ME ?!

ANYONE?!

NO ONE FEEL THAT TOO - those of you who believes they have a strong empathetic connection with others?

I have not changed the pond within which I swim (for 20 odd years).......so it isn't a change in the type of souls whom I encounter.......so either I am becoming distinctly jaded by life, or else other souls are CHANGING.....in a way that I find troublesome.

These are genuine questions....not rhetorical ones.  I would be grateful for feedback.

• This interests me (because I believe I share the same blessing/curse of having a strong empathetic connection with other souls.)  I believe I have always had this blessing/curse.  In recent times, I have felt it to be a distinct curse.........what I am receiving from my (perceived) empathetic connections SCARES THE LIVING CARP OUT OF ME ?!

ANYONE?!

NO ONE FEEL THAT TOO - those of you who believes they have a strong empathetic connection with others?

I have not changed the pond within which I swim (for 20 odd years).......so it isn't a change in the type of souls whom I encounter.......so either I am becoming distinctly jaded by life, or else other souls are CHANGING.....in a way that I find troublesome.

These are genuine questions....not rhetorical ones.  I would be grateful for feedback.

Children
  • Noted.  Thank you for taking the time.

My thinking, perceptions and understanding of the world (and my fellow humans within it).....do not appear to be shared, by anyone!

Everyone seems to be dancing to their own tune - but I can't hear ANY music, whatsoever!

It's like one of those silent discos.......but no one gave me any headphones.  Loads of people with the headphones on seem to be tuned to the "money/progress" channel, some people seem to be on the "God channel", others on the "green/climate" channel, others on the "they're out to get us" channel......but if you try to interrupt them in their dance, to ask a question or two.....they can get VERY angry about EVERYTHING very quickly indeed - or - simply dismiss the concept of questions / alternative views !  I don't know how to "be."

I wish everyone would stop and look at the floor they are dancing on !  What is that floor made of?  How thick is it?  Is this a safe silent disco? ........and the big one ...... what happens when the batteries die in the headphones?!  What then ?!

• Hi

I do think the general population has changed as Number pointed out. It scares me to witness how people seem to be towards each other these days and what their motivations are. I do feel massively alone in this world sometimes, I just feel I can see people for who they really are and not what they are portraying themselves to appear to be. 
    As I Sperg said it might be the dreaded Vax who knows?

Anyway Number the answer is yes for me, I have noticed how the population has changed….. I very often comment to my family saying that I hate people. Obviously not all people but I’m definitely worried for the future. 

• Could it be a vaxxx side effect?