What's your superpower?

Partly because I'm trying to cheer myself up, partly because we need a bit of positivity in life and also because I'd like to get to know you all a bit better, what is your autistic superpower? I prefer to think of the positives that being autistic brings rather than dwell on the things I struggle with and I like to think of my strengths as "superpowers".

Mine are empathy (sometimes my heart can feel like it's going to break or explode!) and spotting details / patterns, particularly in numbers and equations. I also think I see more details in nature than my neurotypical friends (nature is my "special interest") and I get far more joy and excitement from nature than most people do. What are yours?

(Just I case it's confused anyone, I've changed my username, I hope that's OK?)

Parents
  • I am very process orientated - always analysing things and challenging the status quo in my never ending search for the perfect process. Very handy in an IT environment (thats what I do at the moment).
    However, it can also be my kryptonite and can verge on OCD at times.
    The key is finding the right balance.

Like many autists, I dislike change, but I often see that as a positive - it means that I am very loyal and determined to suceed.

I'm afraid that empaty is someting that I am severly lacking in.
    Maybe I'm too old.....and damaging by a lifetime of a challenges and disappointments.

Sorry for putting a negative taint on the subject.

• I'm afraid that empaty is someting that I am severly lacking in.
    Maybe I'm too old.....and damaging by a lifetime of a challenges and disappointments.

That's ok, don't worry. I completely understand that continued disappointments could have impacted your experience of empathy or lack of. How can you be expected to understand and care about how someone else is feeling if they don't care about you in the first place? (Rhetorical question). 

There is no shame in not experiencing empathy! We are all different, empathy is a spectrum!

• I'm afraid that empaty is someting that I am severly lacking in.

That's ok, don't worry. I completely understand that continued disappointments could have impacted your experience of empathy or lack of. How can you be expected to understand and care about how someone else is feeling if they don't care about you in the first place? (Rhetorical question). 

There is no shame in not experiencing empathy! We are all different, empathy is a spectrum!

Children
No Data